Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
I haven't done a starter before, so I have a dumb question..

Mr Malty says to do a 1 quart starter with my WL yeast.
About how long will it take to ferment out?
After it stops fermenting, will all the yeast be settled out at room temp or do I need to do a cold break?

Also, if I use a piece of foil or foam during the fermenting, should I replace that with an airlock once fermenting is over and then refrigerate until I'm ready to pitch?

Last question, when I'm ready to pitch, I will let it warm up to room temp and then decant. Exactly how do I decant? Just pour off the beer? Do I need to add tap water back in order to get the yeast slurry out of the bottle?

I typically make starters on Thursday evening for a Saturday brew day.

No need for a cold break, the yeast will typically settle out within about 48 hours.

I'd stick an airlock on there from the start rather than using foil. Also, there is no need to refrigerate unless brew day is a week+ after making the starter.

I typically pitch my entire starter unless I am making a very light beer, in which case I let the starter ferment out completely, decant the liquid, and just pitch the yeast. To decant, just pour off the majority of the liquid, then swirl the remaining liquid to get the yeast into suspension and pitch.

Remember, starters do not ferment the same as a whole batch of beer so don't worry if you don't see airlock activity or a large krausen.

TheJadedDog said:
I typically make starters on Thursday evening for a Saturday brew day.

No need for a cold break, the yeast will typically settle out within about 48 hours.

I'd stick an airlock on there from the start rather than using foil. Also, there is no need to refrigerate unless brew day is a week+ after making the starter.

I typically pitch my entire starter unless I am making a very light beer, in which case I let the starter ferment out completely, decant the liquid, and just pitch the yeast. To decant, just pour off the majority of the liquid, then swirl the remaining liquid to get the yeast into suspension and pitch.

Remember, starters do not ferment the same as a whole batch of beer so don't worry if you don't see airlock activity or a large krausen.

This is the same technique I follow for my 1ltr starters.

However, with the advice Jon Plise at the Concord morebeer "showroom" I've been using the aluminum foil set-up rather than a true airlock.

Normally, I treat Plise's advice as gold. But I see that you don't recommend using just the foil. Any specific reasons? Had a bad experience with the foil, or is this more of a "rather safe than sorry" kind of thing?

Foil still allows air to get in... but it is quite suitalbe for keeping the nasties out. I made a starter for a lager yeast THREE months ago and never go to use it. It is still in my fridge, in the jar, with the aluminum foil on top, and there is no growth or infection. I ran out of vials to store yeast in!

With starters you want oxygen, that is why stir plates are so nice.

I made a starter with Wyeast 1056 last Thursday, but didn't get to brew on Saturday. I plan on brewing this Saturday. Should I make another starter with new yeast, or will the week old starter be ok?

rjester said:
I made a starter with Wyeast 1056 last Thursday, but didn't get to brew on Saturday. I plan on brewing this Saturday. Should I make another starter with new yeast, or will the week old starter be ok?

take it out today, let it warm, step it up a notch (bigger container, more dme & water), swirl it as often as you can for the next 24 hours.

put it in the fridge tomorrow night after it's done fermenting, pour off your liquid saturday morning, let it warm again and use it saturday night :D

DeathBrewer said:
take it out today, let it warm, step it up a notch (bigger container, more dme & water), swirl it as often as you can for the next 24 hours.

I didn't put it in the refrigerator. It has been in my bathtub at about 76 degrees. Would that make a difference?

well, after two days you should probably stick it in your fridge, but it should be fine. make another bigger starter with it and you'll see the yeast go off, then put it in the fridge overnight so the yeast will drop and you can pour the nasty liquid off the top. let it warm to room temperature before pitching.

Based on everything I've read, (books, web articles, these threads), you need a way for oxygen to get into the starter and shaking it with a foil top allows this. As long as the yeast is fermenting, the CO2 will keep "nasties" from getting in the bottle. Once fermentation is done, you lose the CO2, the foil should be removed and an air lock put on unless you're going to use right away.

Mr. Malty says 3 quart starter for my lager.

That would be 9 oz of DME.
Can I do that all at once or do I need to do a smaller starter first?

I'm moving this post to a new thread.

Back