Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHamm

Reaction score
Posted this in another part of the forum but may get more response here:

Plan on brewing an IPA this saturday and am using WLP051 liquid yeast. The OG should be 1.057 according to beersmith. I'm kind of hazy of the directions to make a yeast starter (which I'm assuming should be done). Should I make the starter tonight or tomorrow night? I do have some DME from a brew kit I bought about a 10 months ago but never did so could I use that? Right now the yeast is sitting in a fridge so should i take it out for a few hours to warm up?

Using Mr. Malty calculator it's saying I need a 2.42 liter starter...that seems really high and don't have any equipment to handle that size. what should I do?

Definitely warm the yeast up first. 2.42 liters fits nicely into 1-gallon apple juice jugs. If you don't have any handy, just make the starter as large as you can handle. As long as you can make it at least 1.5 liters, you'll get good results. If, on the other hand, you can only handle like 500 ml, don't bother. That would harm the yeast more than benefit it.

Back