Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekbooth

Reaction score
I went to my LHBS today to pick up the ingredients for an extract batch of Yooper's Dead Guy Clone and also picked up a kit of Brewer's Best Imperial Pale Ale (supposedly an Arrogant Bastard Clone?).

I've yet to brew a beer that called for a yeast starter. The Dead Guy Clone calls for one (I bought 1056 American Ale yeast), but the Imperial Pale Ale (came with Safale US-05 Dry Yeast) does not, though it's SG should be between 1.080 - 1.085. I've read that you should consider a yeast starter for any beer with an SG above 1.060.

I've boiled 1 cup of DME with 900ml of water and yeast nutrients, placed the flask in an ice bath and now it is sitting on the counter (covered with foil) waiting to hit room temp before I pitch the yeast.

My question is two-fold (and 2 parts each, I guess!):

1) There is a pretty thick layer of DME sitting at the bottom of the flask right now... is this normal? and if so, should I avoid allowing this sludge to mix into the wort when I pitch the yeast starter?

2) I know the Dead Guy Clone will require the yeast starter, but will my Imperial Pale Ale benefit from it, even though the recipe does not call for it? Will creating a yeast starter with US-05 Dry Yeast have any detremental effects on my beer?

I went to my LHBS today to pick up the ingredients for an extract batch of Yooper's Dead Guy Clone and also picked up a kit of Brewer's Best Imperial Pale Ale (supposedly an Arrogant Bastard Clone?).

I've yet to brew a beer that called for a yeast starter. The Dead Guy Clone calls for one (I bought 1056 American Ale yeast), but the Imperial Pale Ale (came with Safale US-05 Dry Yeast) does not, though it's SG should be between 1.080 - 1.085. I've read that you should consider a yeast starter for any beer with an SG above 1.060.

I've boiled 1 cup of DME with 900ml of water and yeast nutrients, placed the flask in an ice bath and now it is sitting on the counter (covered with foil) waiting to hit room temp before I pitch the yeast.

My question is two-fold (and 2 parts each, I guess!):

1) There is a pretty thick layer of DME sitting at the bottom of the flask right now... is this normal? and if so, should I avoid allowing this sludge to mix into the wort when I pitch the yeast starter?

2) I know the Dead Guy Clone will require the yeast starter, but will my Imperial Pale Ale benefit from it, even though the recipe does not call for it? Will creating a yeast starter with US-05 Dry Yeast have any detremental effects on my beer?

1) You should at least boil the starter long enough to dissolve all of the DME and get a hot break.

2) I have used US-05 and Notty up to 1.092 and they both took off within 24 hours without a starter. You can, but I do not think it is necessary.

1) You should at least boil the starter long enough to dissolve all of the DME and get a hot break.

Would it be alright to just put it back on heat at this point to dissolve the remaining DME?

2) I have used US-05 and Notty up to 1.092 and they both took off within 24 hours without a starter. You can, but I do not think it is necessary.

Then I'll use this starter for the Dead Guy Clone if the answer to the question above is "yes"

When I make starters with DME I whisk the extract up with boiling water so it dissolves then leave it to cool to pitching temp. I'm not sure why you'd need a hot break . The sludge is essentially malt so no harm will come to your brew by adding it in but if you have a whisk, you can sanitise it, whisk up the malt and add the yeast. The oxygen will only help the starter at this point.

As for starters - they are usually recommended for liquid yeasts but not dried yeast. If you have a high gravity brew that uses a dried yeast then you can just pitch two packs instead of one. It is worth rehydrating the yeast in some boiled cooled water first.

By the way, my understanding is that 1056 and US05 are the same yeast strain, in different formats.

This is what my yeast starter looks like right now (still have not added yeast yet, however)

IMG00083-20100206-2155.jpg

Should I get it back to a boil and dissolve the DME or just whisk up the DME at room temperature and pitch the yeast?

You could do either. If you boil it you'll obviously need to cool it again but either method will work. Make sure everything that touches it is clean and sanitary if you whisk it/stir it.

Mine are usually in a stainless steel bowl so whisking is easy. For your erlenmeyer it might be easier to shake (if you can seal the top).

I think in the long run, dissolving the DME during a boil will be best for the beer. I've got a small battery operated whisk that I can fit through the neck of the flask, so I think this just might work out!

Back