Yeast starter, yogurt and lactobacillus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave810

Reaction score
My roommate frequently has some sort of home made yogurt by product (i think whey being separated from sour cream) in the fridge. It does have a noticeable smell to it, that of moldy cheese.

I am making a yeast starter today and was planning on decanting it in the fridge, however, knowing that a strain of lactobacillus is used in his yogurt making process, I was wondering if you guys think this is a good idea? Alternatively, could i just reduce the size of my starter to make it acceptable to directly pitch to the wort? I would obviously be taking extra care with sanitation, but would rather play it safe than expose my setup to this bacteria at this time...

Yeah, not sure I would put my yeast starter that close to live lacto culture. You could try just crashing it using an ice bath, it should not take that long. A few frozen water bottles should be plenty for a yeast starter.

^ probably the wise approach. That said, i left harvested yeast in the fridge, venting with the lid cracked next to my sauerkraut. No issues to report. It's probably near impossible for the lacto to climb from one jar to another unless you handle one and then immediately open the other. Still...

Back