Yeast Starter with too much DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossrainey

Reaction score
So I think my starter might be messed up. Instead of 1/2 cup DME I used 1 cup DME in 1 pint of boiling water. I guess the question I have is will this kill the yeast. The yeast are White Labs East Coast Ale (WLP008) and the DME I used was muntons extra light. Any help would be great. I guess next time I should read twice and boil once.

It won't kill the yeast. Did you pitch the yeast already? When did you pitch it? Do you have a hydrometer, where you can take a gravity reading? You want a starter gravity of around 1.040. If it's way high, like in the 1.080 range, you might "tire" the yeast out, but you won't kill it. If you've just pitched this, you can add water and dilute it to the right gravity.

Write back with more details and you'll find help here.

I pitched the yeast about an hour ago, I didn't think to use the hydrometer cause it was the starter, I guess I could boil another pint of water and cool it down real quick. Didn't know if that was a safe .

Edit:
I went ahead and boiled another pint and added it to the starter after cooling to 76 degrees. Now my only concern is making sure there was no infection.

That may once again shock the yeast due to density changes. (They don't extreme changes in temp or density).
In either case, they are very good adopting and just give them time to adjust and take off.

I wouldn't worry about infection too much. Bacteria tend to compete with one another and you've stacked the deck in favor of the yeasties pretty well (high concentration of yeast, boiled H2O, controlled environement).

So now I guess the next question is when should I either consider the starter ready or add more wort. I have about a quart of wort right now and there is now a layer of sediment at the bottom of the jar. Should I just use this or add another pint of wort? Also, I don't see a lot of activity, a little foaming on the top in certain areas but not a big krausen head.

Back