Yeast starter with no sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first starter for a brew this afternoon. The starter is in an E. flask and has been going for 14 hours and there is No visible sediment or yeast at the bottom of the flask and no krausen this morning. I've read krausen isn't crucial but I haven't read anything about no sediment?

Has the yeast not had enough time and are still working or is something else wrong? Thanks for the help!

What was the date on the yeast packet or bottle? I wouldn't necessarily worry at 14 hours, but if you still have no yeast growth at 24 hours, i'd begin to worry.

It was Oct 13th. The starter is milky but has no sediment. It looks like there is an 1/8th inch of clear liquid at the top but no sediment. I'm guessing they are still working.

Do you have your yeast starter set up at room temperature? If so, turn the stir plate off for an hour. At the end of the hour give the flask a couple of shakes. If you get instant krausen your yeast has started working. If there is no krausen give it another 8 hours and repeat.

Good way to tell if your yeast, for some reason, is completely dead. Hard to kill yeast unless the package has really been mishandled. I use this procedure to find out how the yeast is progressing instead of waiting 24 to 36 hours. When the krausen stops forming the starter is pretty much done.

Yes it's at room temp with no stir plate. I've just been stirring manually as I walk by it. When I stir/shake it a thick layer of foam forms instantly and then dissipates. Is that what you are referring to?

Yes it's at room temp with no stir plate. I've just been stirring manually as I walk by it. When I stir/shake it a thick layer of foam forms instantly and then dissipates. Is that what you are referring to?

Yes, that is the krausen. The more often you shake for aeration the sooner your starter will be done. To many vigorous shakes can cause the krausen to erupt from the top. I try to avoid that. Not a starter killer if that happens though.

Do shake the starter. A stir plate stirs for continuous aeration. The manual method requires shaking to sufficiently aerate the starter wort for finishing as soon as possible.

Without a stirplate your starter is really just beginning to go. Swirl it every time you pass by it and let it go for 36 - 48 hours, maybe even longer.

What yeast strain is this? Some yeasts have very poor flocculation and as a result may stay in suspension longer.

The strain in wy dennys fav50. Funny but it just started showing some activity. A little bubbling is going on. :ban: I've been shaking it every chance i get. I'm planning on pitching it tonight around 5, which would be 24 hr in starter. Will that be sufficient or will there be consequences? Stressed yeast? Thanks guys for the support!!!!

The strain in wy dennys fav50. Funny but it just started showing some activity. A little bubbling is going on. :ban: I've been shaking it every chance i get. I'm planning on pitching it tonight around 5, which would be 24 hr in starter. Will that be sufficient or will there be consequences? Stressed yeast? Thanks guys for the support!!!!

You say a little bubbling is going on. Are you using an air lock to keep the air out? Previous post indicated krausen which means fermentation is happening. If you are using an air lock the fermentation will be slowed for lack of oxygen. A foam plug or aluminum foil cover will allow air in, but keep dirt and other nasties out for the fastest ferment.

24 hours might be sufficient for full attenuation with ideal conditions.

Latest posts

Back