Yeast starter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Stout

Reaction score
I will be making a Honey Nut Brown Ale this weekend and I got the White Labs pitchable tube for yeast. From what I have read you get more consistent results from liquid yeast but there is a lag time after it is pitched.

Is there anyway to avoid this? Can a starter be made with a liquid yeast? I assume it can but I've read a few guides that say you need a dry yeast.
I have Muntons that I could use if needed as I do not have anything to make a starter in.

I've also read that the sooner the fermentation starts the better and this is why I am concerned about the lag time with the liquid being pitched in the carboy.

Actually starters are more recommended for liquid yeasts rather than dry. Get that starter started and enjoy!

I used my first White Labs liquid yeast yesterday, but I made a starter. I used 1.5 quarts of water and 1.5 cups of light DME and I let it go for about 26 hours before I pitched. I started it the day before I planned to brew.

You can pitch it directly. The purpose of the starter is to increase your yeast volume and to decrease the lag time. It took my yeast 12 hours or so to start in the starter, but when I pitched it to my primary fermenter, I noticed a few bubbles in the airlock inside of 4 hours of pitching...

I didn't do a starter on my first batch and it too almost 3 days to start bubbling in the airlock. The next batch I did a starter, and it was bubbling in 12 hours. Another advantage of a starter is it verifies the yeast are viable. You are likely OK to pitch the yeast from the vial, but if it were my beer, I would wait for the starter. TIFWIW, I have brewed a grand total of 3 batches.

I don't have any DME but a buddy told me that if I get a glass container of some kind and boil it to get it sterilized it should work. Just follw the directions for making a starter and lay some foil over it. Will this work or should it be under an airlock?

I can run buy a local place and pick up some DME on at lunch this week.

Yes that will work. I usually use growlers. I star sans it, boil wort, cool wort, dump in growler, pitch and attach airlock. Some ppl like foil as it allows o2 in, but I just feel better w/ a airlock.

Just make sure your container is big enough, something 3 maybe 4 times bigger than your starter will be. I thought my 1 quart mason jars were good enough until the krausen decided to spill over and make a mess. Give it plenty of headroom.

Not sure about ceramic.... But flasks should not be used on electric coil heaters.

Right. I have an old Coleman camp stove I can use if I have to. Would rather use the stove but if it isn't 100% safe I won't risk it.

Good idea with the camp stove since boil overs with flasks are almost guaranteed.:D

Last dumb question (Doubtful). Has anyone ever tried boiling with a Erlenmeyer Flask on a ceramic stove top?

The Erlnemeyer flask can be used on the stove if it's a Pyrex or Bomex. Its the same glass used to make pots and pans. Just make sure you don't burn your DME on the bottom of it!

If you have iTunes, download the podcast from Brew Strong: Yeast starter. After listening to that, you'll know just about everything you need to know about starters. Also, if you're interested in making a starter, its worth your time to also make a DIY stir plate. They are relatively cheap. Do a search on that.

If you have iTunes, download the podcast from Brew Strong: Yeast starter. After listening to that, you'll know just about everything you need to know about starters. Also, if you're interested in making a starter, its worth your time to also make a DIY stir plate. They are relatively cheap. Do a search on that.
You can also download it directly or listen to it streaming. Brew Strong.

Well, they didn't have them in and wouldn't until Friday so I went with a 2 liter growler and airlock.

I'll just boil and cool in a stainless pot I have and pitch to the growler. I guess I can always use the growler to put some slurry away from the oatmeal stout I have going to use in the imperial stout I want to brew soon. I've never used slurry but I've talked with the guy at the local supply place about it a few times.

:ban:

Okay, I plan on using it tonight. I have just one more question or would like to get your opinions rather.

I used one of the methods described in the faq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
I use a 1/2 gallon growler from a brewpub similar to this one. I fill the growler about 1/2 full of water, then dump that water into a pot. Bring the water to a boil, take it off the heat, add ~1 cup of plain light DME, then boil it, stirring, for about 15 minutes. Cover it and cool in an ice water bath. Once cool, transfer it to the growler, add the yeast, cover with sanitiary foil or plastic wrap, shake vigourously, then put an airlock on it. Just like doing a small brew session.

I usually make my starter a day to two before brewing.

I used the one above and everything thing seems to be okay. It's not a clear growler so I can only see a little of what's inside. The airlock was popping about ever 1 or 2 sec yesterday and last night but has all but stopped today. I made the starter Thursday night and wasn't sure if it should have stopped so soon.

I can't see much krausen or anything in it and just wanted your opinions before I pitch it later today.

Me thinks it's fine so long as the smell is okay when I remove the airlock.

Latest posts

Back