Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but my brain isn't connection the dots....

If I make a starter with 2 vials of liquid yeast instead of just one, do I still want my starter OG to be around 1.036? It would seem twice the yeast would need more food.

Reason I ask is I have a 5000ml flask with stir plate. Using the brewers friend starter tool (with White stir plate chosen), it says I need a 6.75L starter--too big. Lager, 1.051 OG, 5.5gal, yeast date 4-7-14.
If I pitch 2 vials into the starter, it says I can meet the pitching rate with 2L.
I just don't want the yeast to be stressed not having enough sugar if I pitch 2 vials in 2L volume at 1.036.
I don't have time to do step ups.

Thanks

I would think you'd be fine. You don't want a higher gravity solution in your starter as it can stress the yeast. You can also make this the morning of and pitch it at full krausen when there is a lot of activity.

You can also do a multi-step starter to get the yeast numbers you need; this is generally more efficient (in terms of wort used/yeast cells provided) that simply increasing the size of your starter &/or using additional vials of yeast. http://www.yeastcalc.co/ has a good calculator for stepped starters; if using a stir plate I would recommend the "K. Troster" calculations, as in my experience they are closest to what I observe.

As ram5ey said, don't up the gravity - you'll stress the yeast and not improve your cell yields much.

Bryan

Latest posts

Back