Yeast starter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 12gal batch of ale using Whitelabs Burton Ale that is 2 months past it's best before date. I was going to use both vials and make a starter. My question is: Will I get more yeast cells if I make 2 separate 1 quart starters or should I make 1 half gal starter using both vials. Or, does it make a difference at all what I do?

I think you would end up with the same amount of yeast if you do two 1 qt. starters or one 2 qt. starter with two vials. If possible, I would make a 2 qt. starter with each vial since it is so far out of date. Assuming 2 qt. is as big as you can go and not knowing your OG.

honestly, if you have two vials. usually white labs says 95+ viabilty within it best but date. but after only a couple months and two vials you will still have healthy 85+ viablity yeast, pitch them both without a starter you'll be fine

What is your expected OG? You can go to www.mrmalty.com and plug in all your info and find out how big, if any, starter is required. It will also give you an estimate on the viability of your yeast.

You'll get more yeast from two smaller starters than one larger starter that equals the same total size of the two smaller ones. So two 2L starters will yield you more yeast than one 4L starter.

The batch OG, and amount going into the fermenter, determines how much of a starter you'll need. IF you make two starters, I would split the total volume in half and then make the two starters that size.

IF you have two stir plates, you'll be in a much better position too, since you'll be able to make smaller starters.

Wow, what a lot of great responses. Thanks!

My OG is going to be around 1.053. I think I'll make two 1/2gal starters. I wrote White Labs and asked their advice. If I get a response I will post it.

Back