Yeast starter Ques.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbic

Reaction score
when you put the yeast starter on the stir plate, how much spin is required and how long do you let it spin?

You just need enough motion to keep the yeast in suspension and to help draw O2 into the wort. I typically turn mine up to a level where I can just see a dimple in the surface... No real need for more. Also cap the flask loosely with foil or, even better, cotton wool or a foam stopper to allow O2 to get in (beneficial for starters).

I'd say these are on the high-side of "what you need"...
ab_01may2016_01.jpg
...but it's nice to have the power...

Cheers!

"Go Big Or Go Home" :rockin: :D

My first stir plate could never have held that big dude. But over the years I found I needed that 5L flask so often that it would have been counterproductive to build my "Rev B" stir plates that couldn't fit one comfortably...

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks for the info. Do you let it stir for the duration of the ferment.

I think the conventional wisdom is to pitch around peak activity - visible krausen. Sometimes I do that, sometimes I don't - really depends on when I got the starter going and when I need to pitch. I do always crash cool the starter for around 12 hours though just so I can decant off the starter beer as much as possible.

Back