Yeast starter - One or two?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indyking

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m getting ready to brew 2 Pilsners coming up soon. They will have identical ingredients, but one will be my first attempt in the decoction world and the other just plain single-step infusion, so I can see how different they really are. These will be brewed in 2 consecutive days and I’m planning to do the single or 2 decoction process.

I'm going to use Wyeast 2124 with a starter and now comes my question… How should I manage the starter?

1-Two separate starters using 1 pack of yeast for each
2-2 packs of yeast to make 1 bigger starter (bigger meaning more volume of wort) and split the resulting yeast suspension between the 2 batches
3-Or even just 1 starter using just 1 pack and split the yeast between the 2 batches

I suppose option # 1 is the most logical and safest, but since I only have 1 starter jug, I wouldn’t be able to brew them in 2 consecutive days as I’m planning now.

Your thoughts will be highly appreciated!

You maximize yeast production by stepping up 10x original.

IE:
Day 1: From smack pack to 2 cups starter. Chill, pitch yeast
Day 2: Add ~1 gallon water/DME (chilled)
Day 3:Throw in refridgerator
Day 4: Decant off beer on top of yeast, pour half of the yeast into a sterile container, and pour another 1 gallon of water/DME on top of yeast.
Day 5: Enough yeast for 2 batches.

You maximize yeast production by stepping up 10x original.

IE:
Day 1: From smack pack to 2 cups starter. Chill, pitch yeast
Day 2: Add ~1 gallon water/DME (chilled)
Day 3:Throw in refridgerator
Day 4: Decant off beer on top of yeast, pour half of the yeast into a sterile container, and pour another 1 gallon of water/DME on top of yeast.
Day 5: Enough yeast for 2 batches.

Thanks!

So, based on the help I got here and in some other sites, I came up with the following strategy:

I will use just one smack pack of yeast but ferment it in a rather large volume to make the starter. I have a 3 gal carboy, so will do something like a 1.5 gal starter.

After 2 days or so when I'm sure fermentation is done I will transfer the carboy to the fridge overnight, so the yeast can form a sediment, decant the cold wort, and add some new fresh wort (1.5 gal) for a second round of fermentation.

After 2-3 days, I will end up with even larger sediment, which I will split into the 2 batches.

Any concerns?

No concerns. My method will produce more yeast.
You maximize yeast production when you step up to 10x the volume of wort/H2O.

-Referencing the book: Yeast by Chris White (I am not sure... I think he wrote it)

No concerns. My method will produce more yeast.
You maximize yeast production when you step up to 10x the volume of wort/H2O.

-Referencing the book: Yeast by Chris White (I am not sure... I think he wrote it)

Great!

In another forum, people agreed that using a high volume starter with two fermentation rounds would optimize yeast production but, it does make sense to actually step-up the volume as the book suggests.

Thanks!

Back