Yeast starter has 2 different layers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiggStout1

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter from the wyeast belgian abbey 2, and I always step up starters 3 to 4 times so I can make a few Pitchable vials to keep for next brew. This is first time using the abbey yeast and my starter has a dark layer on top of a light layer WHAT GIVES. can anyone explain this don't wanna pitch any bad yeast into a batch of good wort. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390976579.938577.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390976591.778434.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390976720.476128.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390976737.981230.jpg. None of my other starters or vials have done this. I usually end up with one nice tanish creamy layer seeing that my starters originally come from smack packs or vials and not harvested yeast...

i made a yeast starter from the wyeast belgian abbey 2, and i always step up starters 3 to 4 times so i can make a few pitchable vials to keep for next brew. This is first time using the abbey yeast and my starter has a dark layer on top of a light layer what gives. Can anyone explain this don't wanna pitch any bad yeast into a batch of good wort.View attachment 175598View attachment 175599View attachment 175601View attachment 175602. None of my other starters or vials have done this. I usually end up with one nice tanish creamy layer seeing that my starters originally come from smack packs or vials and not harvested yeast...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391010027.161200.jpg

All of my starters tend to have a thin darker layer on top. I've always assumed it was a very light trub that falls out late. I think it's normal.

Here's a photo of my yeast bank, produced with DME starters. All the jars have it. Some are easier to see the layer than others. I decant most of the beer above, shake it all up and pitch.

img_20131227_091411_363-800x600-61689.jpg

Ok thanks, that's the first time I seen it I was figuring maybe trub and since it was more yeast it just settled on top, the starter smelt and tasted fine very small hint of diacetyl in starter but seems fine. Is your yeast bank Pitchable or do you make starters from them. I've actually started slanting, and I usually make a bigger starter than needed and make a few Pitchable vials for future brews if using again soon if not I pour in a sterilized vial with glycerin and freeze for extended periods.

I make a 2liter, stir plated, starter, essentially tripling the yeast and divide it into three. Store one in the archives and use the other two, after stir plate starting, for batches. I've archived for nearly a year with success.

So, i made a 1L starter from some 3 month old porter slurry. Starter fermented well and was done in about 48 hours on a stir plate.

After 10 hours in the fridge i can see two layers just like the OP. The starter beer tasted fine for what it is.

Could that top layer be DME protein?

s10dxHz.jpg

Back