Yeast starter and over pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow52

Reaction score
I am on a roll and planning my third brew this weekend. I am going to clone a South African beer - Castle Lager. My LHBS supplied me with the White Labs: Pilsner Lager Yeast WLP800 (liquid) but the expiration date has passed (Jan-28-12) so they threw in at no cost two extra tubes of the same yeast with the same expiration date.

My plan is to make a starter tonight (for the Saturday brew) and adding all three the tubes to the starter.

Question is I heard about over pitching but really know nothing about it. Is there such a thing as too much yeast?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If you are doing a lager I bet mrmalty.com would suggest using 2 or 3 vials anyways to make the initial starter. You will not be over pitching. If you don't do a 2000ml starter at a minimum I would bet you would be under pitching your lager.

I Just did a mrmalty calc (thanks cool site)

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

This is what I got:

2 vials in a 4.24 liter starter

Problem is my flask is only 2000ml and I am not even sure at 2000ml mark if there will be enough head space left. I have one of those lab flask you can place on the flame. Trying to think what I can use for a 4.24 liter starter with head space.

Problem is my flask is only 2000ml and I am not even sure at 2000ml mark if there will be enough head space left. I have one of those lab flask you can place on the flame. Trying to think what I can use for a 4.24 liter starter with head space.

Do a stepped starter: Start out with a 1-2L starter and let the yeast ferment that. Crash cool to drop the yeast, pour off old starter (now beer) and add another 2-3 liters of fresh starter. Let the yeast ferment that, crash cool and you have yeast ready for pitch.

For the best growth results keep the yeast concentration at 50 million/L or less, that's why Mr Malty suggests 2 vials in 4 liters. I would suggest 2 starters of 2L each with a single vial in each one...that will yield 400+million cells to pitch (less if the viability has suffered through expiration).

For the best growth results keep the yeast concentration at 50 million/L or less, that's why Mr Malty suggests 2 vials in 4 liters. I would suggest 2 starters of 2L each with a single vial in each one...that will yield 400+million cells to pitch (less if the viability has suffered through expiration).

I did give mr malty the expiration date of 1/28 and also entered the correct OG (1.050) @5.25 gal and that changed it a bit to 4.64 with 2 vials.

I figure if I can get hold of a 2gal vessel I should be good for a 4.64 starter + head space. Probably going to end up with 2x 1gal growlers. I will also start the 3rd vial I have just for good measure or it will go to waste anyway.

Maybe a 3 gal carboy and I will be set for any future largering starters that seems to be bigger than ales by a lot.

So just to be clear since this is my first starter ever. I will pour off the beer and just pitch the white yeast from the bottom?

Back