Yeast starter 24 12 6 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogtailale

Reaction score
Do I have the right work schedule

stir plate 24 hrs

refrigerator 12 hrs

decant, raise to room temp 6 hrs then pitch.

Thank you

You need a little more time, imo. Some starters (depending on size) need a few days. I also like to give at least 24 hours in the fridge to get all yeast out of suspension. Lager starters need more than that. I try plan my starters a week out, rushing never seems to work out.

You need a little more time, imo. Some starters (depending on size) need a few days. I also like to give at least 24 hours in the fridge to get all yeast out of suspension. Lager starters need more than that. I try plan my starters a week out, rushing never seems to work out.

Size didnt think about that.

1qt 1/2 cup

Plan a week out I wish I could. when that phone rings I grab my bags and im on a to flight somewhere.

It sound like the longer the better. But what would your min&max be on the stir plate?

Thank you

i'd say that's fine for a regular ale. 1 quart probably won't need 6 hours to come to room temp....probably 1/2 hour.

Do I have the right work schedule

stir plate 24 hrs

refrigerator 12 hrs

decant, raise to room temp 6 hrs then pitch.

Thank you

I'd say that is the minimum. You should take some visual clues along the way. You should be able to see when it's done fermenting. Some times 24 hours does it other times it needs 3 days. It depends on the yeast strain, health, temps, size of starter, etc...

12 hours in the fridge is minimal but should work OK if it fully fermented on the stirplate. Highly floculant strains may go quicker. Less floculant strains may take longer. Once again use your eyes.

raising to room temp is the least important factor in my experience.

Back