Yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I usually direct pitch my slurrys from my last batch of brew within 2-3 weeks of harvesting from the fermenter. I try not to make starters if I don't have too.
Mine are approaching 4 weeks from harvesting. I'll be over pitching a bit. Im thinking they might be slow to start but won't have an issue.
How long or what is the longest you let a yeast slurry sit and still direct pitch with no starter.

I've never made a starter with a slurry and have gone long over a month...if it looks and smells normal you should be fine....

Yeast companies say 3% loss per month....a slurry is a **** load more yeast than a packet

for me the longer was 3 weeks. if it stays more time in the fridge, I do a starter

Just pitched a slurry that was almost 4 months old. That was stored in fridge. No starter. Started a little slow But otherwise took off just fine. I'll have to see how it turns out FG and taste wise.

Latest posts

Back