Yeast Slurry smells like Vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
Last night I started to prepare the yeast slurry I had harvested from a pale ale a couple weeks back. The batch used US-05.

I cracked the lid on my yeast jar and when I took a wif I could smell a vinegar like aroma. Is this normal or is it bad? I was very sanitary throughout the process and followed the how to on the forum. Decided not to pitch it and just went with a new packet just to be safe.

Is my harvested yeast bad or is this a normal aroma?

It wasn't an over powering aroma, didn't knock me over or anything but enough to make me question. Maybe its what I get for using glass jars gravy came in. Maybe something in the lid didn't get cleaned enough.

Either way it was good practice. Time to buy some new never used canning jars.

What about the batch that the slurry came from? How does that taste? It could easily have picked up an infection from the previous ferment.

Previous batch fermented great and is a tasty simcoe/amarillo pale ale. Clean and no signs of infection.

vinegar is usually a sure sign of aceto. definitely would not use it unless you want vinegar-y beer!

vinegar is usually a sure sign of aceto. definitely would not use it unless you want vinegar-y beer!

Yeah kinda figured, glad I had some US-05 in the fridge for just such an occasion. Didn't want to end up with 10 gallons of Janet's Vinegar Brown.

Thanks all :mug:

Back