Yeast sediment buildup in Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLodger

Reaction score
My very first brown ale has been in the bottle for about 2 1/2 weeks. I've been a good boy letting them sit. I've only opened one after chilling for 2 days, so this n00b can see/taste the difference.

Anyhoo, I've noticed that there is quite a bit of yeast buildup in the bottom of the bottles, which I've never seen before in a brown ale. I'm not REALLY worried about it, but I'm curious as to what causes it? Are there steps I can take to make that not happen, or is the inevitable cost of home brewing?

All bottle conditioned beers will have a fine layer of sediment, even commercial ones. You can minimize it, though, by keeping the beer in the fermenter longer and not bottling until the beer is 3-4 weeks old and clear.

Some yeast strains compact very tightly on the bottom, which makes is easier to pour off of the yeast without disturbing it too much. Also, if you pour your beer in one motion, you can just leave the last 1/4" in the bottle, and not get any sediment in your glass.

Also I believe that like myself when bottling or kegging you may try to get every last bit out of your fermenter. People tell me that they leave behind about 1/6 of the bottom liquid. I try not to get any sediment, but leave very little liquid behind. Not matter what you do, you will still have sediment thats why your last sip usually tastes like crap.

Back