Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmin9

Reaction score
I have two strains of yeast, Safale S-05 and an unidentified under the lid strain of yeast from a kit. I have two fermenters and I want a basic extract recipe that will show the characteristics of the yeast more than anything. Figured I would do a side by side comparison of the two strains of yeast just to see the difference. Any ideas or tips for this experiment would be welcome.

If you know the brand of the kit, you can probably figure out what brand and type of yeast they include. For example, Munton's and Cooper's include their own brand yeast.

If it's an ale kit, chances are the kit's yeast is close to S-05 or S-04 strains. It may be hard to tell a difference if that's the case.

To find out differences, you would brew a (perhaps double) batch and split it over the 2 fermentors. Each gets their own yeast and they should ferment in the same environment, temps etc. Keep daily notes on how they progress.

It is a Cooper's Kit. It could still be a fun experiment just to see if there is any difference. I guess I would just measure daily gravity readings to see what the different strains were doing?

It is a Cooper's Kit. It could still be a fun experiment just to see if there is any difference. I guess I would just measure daily gravity readings to see what the different strains were doing?

That will just tell you how fast they are fermenting. I would think you want more tasting notes correct? In which case you would proceed as a normal batch and just label them as needed for when they are ready to be tested.

That will just tell you how fast they are fermenting. I would think you want more tasting notes correct? In which case you would proceed as a normal batch and just label them as needed for when they are ready to be tested.

Yeah, I was hinting more at qualitative notes, as in start of fermentation, how vigorous, apparent progress, and some gravity measurements when done. Now this is all academic if you want to use the kit's yeast again in another beer, and you don't know what it is to buy another pack. You could harvest the yeast after bottling for the next "experiement."

Be aware, kits' yeasts are usually old, stored improperly and often not of the highest quality. "Taped under the lid" vs. stored in fridge or freezer.
IIRC, Palmer tells you to discard it and buy fresh instead.

I was responding to the OPs thought of just checking the gravity. And as interesting an experiment as it sounds, unless you have a ferm chamber, I would find it hard to believe you'll be able to control the conditions enough to get a true comparison. A couple degrees warmer or colder in one fermenter will throw it all off.

That's why I bought the Safale in the first place. i've used the kits before though, and its a new package for the yeast that came with it, so I thought I might use both packs(I bought two kits) and hopefully that will be enough viable cells for a decent ferment.

I was responding to the OPs thought of just checking the gravity. And as interesting an experiment as it sounds, unless you have a ferm chamber, I would find it hard to believe you'll be able to control the conditions enough to get a true comparison. A couple degrees warmer or colder in one fermenter will throw it all off.

The best I can do is brew them both on the same day, in the same type of fermenter and store them next to each other in the same closet. No ferm chamber with controlled temps though.

The best I can do is brew them both on the same day, in the same type of fermenter and store them next to each other in the same closet. No ferm chamber with controlled temps though.

That's close enough for some sort of comparison, but one of the responders is right that without temp control it's a crap shoot. The yeast can go rampant in one, since it is lively and in the other gets a slow and steady start cause it's older or just different. The results would be uncomparable.

Temp control is the main key to better beer, whether made from kits, extract, PM, or AG. the only yeast I've come across that doesn't mind heat, and actually creates a great beer with higher temps is Saison yeast, but in the winter that could be challenging in some brew houses too.

So what temp are you hoping for in that closet?

Back