Yeast question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
I've got a recipe together for a big stout..og is going to be around 1.070. My question is for the yeast I'm going to be using Safale us 05...is that going to be enough? Or should I purchase something else to handle this?

US-05 is good enough to handle that. S-04 would also be a good yeast to use. There are actually more yeast cells in a dry packet then there is in a smack pack or vial. Just make sure you aerate the stout very well and you will be good to go.

Shaneoco1981 said:
US-05 is good enough to handle that. S-04 would also be a good yeast to use. There are actually more yeast cells in a dry packet then there is in a smack pack or vial. Just make sure you aerate the stout very well and you will be good to go.

Ok awesome. I usually aerate very well so no prob on that. I think I'll hydrate before pitching this time to make sure I get more yeasties in the game. Thanks. Saves me a trip.

I've heard people talk about this app a lot. A bit expensive.

It's only "pay" for the app if you go to it on a droid or IOS phone. Not standard web browser, although after you use it a few times, and if you ever use liquid yeast, you may change your mind about the "expense".

dbhokie said:
It's only "pay" for the app if you go to it on a droid or IOS phone. Not standard web browser, although after you use it a few times, and if you ever use liquid yeast, you may change your mind about the "expense".

Free for computer?? Nice ill have to check it out. I have heard of liquid yeast. Never used it though.

Back