Yeast question for a black IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I will be brewing up a big black IIPA soon and was wondering if the yeast from a 6 pack of Bell's Two Hearted Ale would be ok to use with this style?

IPAs seem pretty versatile, but I prefer S-05 and have used it with great results in several Black IPA variations. Do you have a starter ready to go from what you've harvested? What's your OG going to be? If you're under 1.070 you should be safe I'd think.

If it's a "big" Black IPA I would make a starter no matter what and since I have no experience in bottle harvesting I would definitely use a starter. That said, is there something special about Bell's yeast? I mean, I love the beer but it seems there are plenty of good strains to make an excellent IPA with. I guess it just seems like more trouble than it's worth to me. But what do I know?

It is a "big" IPA (1.078 O.G.). I was planning on using a 2.75 liter starter with WLP003. The only reason I was thinking of harvesting was because I heard Bell's was a good one to harvest. I'll probably just go with the 003 starter.

Thanks for the info.

Blackhawkbrew said:
It is a "big" IPA (1.078 O.G.). I was planning on using a 2.75 liter starter with WLP003. The only reason I was thinking of harvesting was because I heard Bell's was a good one to harvest. I'll probably just go with the 003 starter.

Thanks for the info.

OG that High requires more yeast. Otherwise your yeast will be strained and not finish cleaning the beer. Try one gallon for that high OG. And keep that temp controlled. Plenty of yeast nutrients as well. Cheers

Bell's would be fine, but I would just use US-05 or something similar for a CDA/BIPA (something with a nice clean profile). Stepping up yeast from a 6-pack of bottles is time consuming, and you run the risk of getting inconsistent yeast. Definitely worth if for some more exotic strains, but Bell's... I personally wouldn't bother (but that's just me! ;-)).

Orion321 said:
Thanks man!!!

Absolutely! I'd say that after sanitation, pitching the right amount of healthy yeast is the most important thing in good beer!

Back