yeast question #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
I ordered the Belgian white beer extract kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. I selected the Brewferm Blanche dry yeast instead of the White Labs or Wyeast liquid options, mainly because last time I ordered from there, it took 5 days to get to my house and being a hot as it is now, I figured it would probably kill the yeast because no ice pack could last that long.

Anyway, When it arrived, a week after I ordered, I saw I was refunded about $3, and I wondered why until I opened the kit and saw that they had replaced the Brewferm Blanche with Safbrew T-58 dry yeast. The descriptions of the two make them sound similar enough, so I thought no big deal, but then I was thinking, would I be doing myself a favor by heading to the LHBS and picking up a White Labs belgian Wit Ale yeast?

I have no experience with that yeast, but it doesn't sound like a good substitute. I would be very tempted to go get an appropriate yeast for a Belgian wit. The yeast character is a major component of this brew.

Thanks flyguy. I guess If I'm going to do something I should do it right. I'll see if my LHBS has the white labs belgian wit yeast.

So now I have a packet of Safbrew T-58 that I'll need to use up. What beer would go well with this?

Back