Yeast or Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianyear

Reaction score
(Background)
Until yesterday, I've always used a plastic Ale Pail for my primary fermenter. The down side to brew buckets is you can't see what's going on in there. Being curious, I used a 6.5 gallon "Better Bottle" so I could check out what those yeasties are doing. This is a very simple SMaSH brew consisting of Pilsen Malt and Willamette Hops. My brew is only 22 hours old and it is FILLED with all kinds of gunk that is floating to the top and then falling to the bottom.

(Questions)
a- I've never used Safale US-05 before yesterday; is this normal with this strand?

b- Is this an infection? It really took off with signs of fermentation just 4 hours after pitching.

c- Should I just RDWHAHB and chill out for another couple weeks?

Any opinions/answers on this?

SMaSH 1.jpg

SMaSH 2.jpg

You're in for some really cool **** now that you can see the fermentation now. That appears to be the yeast floculating

Thanks guys, I feel better.
My gut told me that everything was fine, but it's nice to hear others tell me that. :D

here is my S-05

I love watching my beer do that. It's like a lava lamp. I lose track of time. :)

My IPA looked exactly like the OP the day after pitching. Yesterday (day 4) it was almost homogenous, opaque, and almost orange because all the protein had broken apart. Gotta let it settle out!

Latest posts

Back