Yeast microscope.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef1978

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. Finally after google search for days,I need to turn in to real life experts here.
I'm trying to figure out which microscope to buy to be able to see yeast cells and bacterias ,like Brett and lactobacilus? What specs should I look for? Maybe yiu have specific model recommendations?
Thank you.

Good morning everyone. Finally after google search for days,I need to turn in to real life experts here.
I'm trying to figure out which microscope to buy to be able to see yeast cells and bacterias ,like Brett and lactobacilus? What specs should I look for? Maybe yiu have specific model recommendations?
Thank you.

Short answer: Amscope is probably the best choice for an hobbyist, but Olympus scopes are considered better - you might look for a used one on ebay.

Brett is yeast, a fungus with large cells. Cells are about 5um (note a human hair is about 75um). 400x magnification works fine.

Lactobacillus is bacteria, which is smaller than yeast, ~ 1um. You'll be able to see them at 400x, and they will be easy to identify due to their rod-like shape. However, at 400x you won't see anything but their outline. Far better 1000x, but (I think) that requires oil immersion objectives. I wonder about that magnfication on less expensive scopes like the ubiquitous Amscope, but maybe it's fine.

Light source, condenser, and iris diaphram are all really important too, for adjusting contrast so you can see stuff.

Also, the scope must have a proper X/Y stage with fine controls for moving the sample around.

I have (and recommend) an Olympus BH scope. Wish it was a trinocular (for camera mounting). Note that the most important thing about the scope are the objective lenses (typically several between 10x and 100x). The quality of these range wildly, and the resulting image will depend on them. If you buy a used scope, it's a little bit of a gamble what objectives you get, and how clear they will be.

You can sometimes pick up equipment such as scopes at auctions and other sales such as that. Labs go out of business or simply decommission older stuff that's still A-OK useful for serious amateurs.
But it's always a gamble what you'll actually get, especially if you can't inspect it in person.

USB would be fine assuming the optics, lighting, and X/Y stage controls are good. If you have one in mind, post it and I'll comment. I'm no expert in these matters - I know there are some who are - perhaps they will find this thread and help you out.

In the meantime, you might look through the following thread. I put some pics and video up there, and there are many comments from more educated people than me.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/pics-of-yeast-under-my-new-microscope.273342/

You can sometimes pick up equipment such as scopes at auctions and other sales such as that. Labs go out of business or simply decommission older stuff that's still A-OK useful for serious amateurs.
But it's always a gamble what you'll actually get, especially if you can't inspect it in person.
You're right, it's best to buy new merchandise if you can.

Back