Yeast issues!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
We brewed a stout last night, pitched the yeast at 78F put it in the cold room and set it to 67F. Checked it today and it dropped overnight to 58F, it's slowly rising back up. And fermentation seems to be activating. Any issues you guys can forsee?

Thanks

We pitched .5L 1084 into 1bbl

The only thing is that you want to try to at least keep the temps somewhat consistent. Within the first few days of fermentation the esters will form. If you're too high or low there can be off flavors. I think you'll be fine but beer isn't just beer. What did you brew?

But generally, you should be okay but try to get those temps consistent. You may have to move your beer.

Yea I knew there was a possibility of off flavors but I wanted to deny it, lol

We had a similar issue with our porter last week and was able to regulate it within a day and she fermenter like crazy.

We hit this problem bc temps at night are now in the 30s so the cold room gets colder than 67

It's a sweet stout. Brewed with lactose and cocoa

Any issues? You should have pitched 6.2L (with stir plate) to 16.5L (simple starter) of yeast per Mr. Malty if the beer was 1.050 gravity and the yeast was less than a week old.
You seriously underpitched.
I hope the beer turns out.

Latest posts

Back