yeast in the carboy is filling up quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindsore

Reaction score
I just started my first brew ever(50 hours ago) a porter/stout. my primary is a glass carboy roughly 6 gallon. i made a 5 gallon batch, at first i feared my yeast was not going to work and ferment my wort. 10-12 hours later in started bubbling up like crazy. now the top section in filling up with the foamy head but, its nearing the bottom of the carboy neck. my question now is will the air lock blow off the c02 or will the foam move up into the airlock and cause issue? i have sanitized water in my airlock

You will need to install a blow off tube. If you don't have the right materials, use a rubber band to secure a loose foil cap to the top of the fermentor. If the krausen reaches the air lock, and clogs it, the pressure will blow the air lock out. The pressure can send the krausen to the ceiling. The air lock can be reinstalled when activity slows.

Your carboy could be to small for the wort volume, or the fermentation temperature is to warm.

if you're using a 3-piece airlock, you can quickly convert it to a blowoff using a length of 5/8 ID hose and some vessel of sanitizer (I usually just use a 2-liter bottle filled halfway).

It is likely that the foam will come out the top. That is called krausen. That is caused from really happy yeast working really hard. It could also indicate that the temperature is too high and that might lead to off flavors. Not to worry, you will still make beer!

You could install a blow off or use foil like people have mentioned. Don't forget to sanitize anything you use. Remember, the airlock/foil/blow off is just to keep bad things from floating down in the air. So if you sanitize a piece of foil and cover the top so that nothing falling from above falls into your beer you will be good to go. Later on when the krausen has fallen down you can reinstall the air lock.

Welcome to the club. This is a pretty awesome hobby. One of the coolest out there.

Since that was your first post... Where in the world do you call home?

Thanks guys, I was able to rig one up and saved from crazy overflow,this site is a life saver. I'm pretty excited about it, I don't expect my first batch to be great but, it will help me get my feet wet. maybe even my whistle if I'm in luck.I live in Louisville, Ky.

Next time you're at the brew shop, get a little bottle of Fermcap-S (about $4). It does wonders for keeping the krausen from getting too big. Also prevents boilovers in the kettle too.

my first batch had plenty of off flavors. i had explosive krausen (high temps and belgian yeast)
... but it was very drinkable, "pretty good" even... and i made beer that worked and get me buzzed.

... you're going to be nothing but happy with the finished product !~

Back