Yeast Harvest... Conical ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am finally ready to brew this week (Irish Red). I have a question concerning how you go about harvesting yeast. Not so much about yeast washing. I saw 1 of the conicals on ebay that recommended draining the trub then yeast out daily for the first week. To me that seems like a good way to infect your yeast. I am thinking the first time that you open the valve should be to get the yeast. Maybe at 7-10 days.

How do you go about it?

Thanks and cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

when you open the conical you will get yeast and trub for the first few day. once fermentation starts to slow down you should only be getting yeast after that. that is if your using a conical. Wyeast's website has a great page on getting trub out and washing yeast.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

I would get some grain alcohol and wipe off the valve before and after opening. Make sure to give the alcohol time to evaporate after wiping down, before opening the valve to save off the yeast.

Arneba28 said:
when you open the conical you will get yeast and trub for the first few day. once fermentation starts to slow down you should only be getting yeast after that. that is if your using a conical. Wyeast's website has a great page on getting trub out and washing yeast.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

Thank you for posting that link it has a bunch of useful information and answered many of my questions.

I just take the 1/2" barb off the ball valve, wash it and the hose. Then I have a spray bottle of Star-San that I spray into the closed ball valve.

I spary a little Star-San on the ball valve right while I sanitize the barb and hose just before I do the next dump.

It's a darn site cheaper than wasting alcohol and a little tiny bit of Star-San actually is a yeast nutrient.

How much beer do you tend to lose everytime you open up that valve on the conical and really, how quickly do the trub and yeast come out with daily dumps?

I am thinking starting at 2 days dump the trub/yeast at 4 days harvest the yeast and wash. OR is it really dependent on the fermentation?

Each time cleanse and then sanitize the valve as best I can.

What do you think???

Cheers!!!

Back