Yeast Harvest - Bucket Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
I'm still quite new to this but while transferring my Red Ale to the secondary this morning, I couldn't help but notice that thick layer of Lees on the bottom of my bucket and wondered if I should harvest it.
I ferment in 5 gallon buckets and was just wondering the basics of collecting that hibernating yeast to use in my next batch, thanks!!

When you bottle or keg, leave a little beer on the yeast cake. Swirl it up, pour it into sanitized mason jars (4 needed, pints work fine). There should be sufficient yeast in that cake for 4 more batches. You can search for "yeast washing" or "yeast ranching" for more information on this subject.

Yea, as simple as that. I've had good results just dipping a sanitized mason jar into the yeast cake and scooping up yeast and some of the beer on top (not trub on bottom). Then I'll keep that in the fridge for a week or so until I next brew. Take it out morning of brew day to slowly rise to fermentation temp, then swirl and pitch into wort. easy and good results.

Back