Yeast habits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having a problem with yeast that is sitting on the top of my beer. Basically the beer is fermenting fine, numbers are good but the yeast stays on top of the beer. It doesn't fall.

Last time I used gelatine to clean it up but I'd prefer not to do that. And I'm not rushing the beer as the last one finished fermenting and the yeast was still sitting on top a week later.

Is this a sign that there is a problem with fermentation, or should I not worry and bottle it as is?

as far as i know, dont worry about it. i ususally have this occur. i rack into my bottling bucket or keg from between this head and the trub at the bottle.

Hi All,

Having a problem with yeast that is sitting on the top of my beer. Basically the beer is fermenting fine, numbers are good but the yeast stays on top of the beer. It doesn't fall.

Last time I used gelatine to clean it up but I'd prefer not to do that. And I'm not rushing the beer as the last one finished fermenting and the yeast was still sitting on top a week later.

Is this a sign that there is a problem with fermentation, or should I not worry and bottle it as is?

You say that you are a week past the ferment 'finishing'. How long are we looking total? And has this been with the same variety of yeast?

You say that you are a week past the ferment 'finishing'. How long are we looking total? And has this been with the same variety of yeast?

Say last time I had it in primary for nearly three weeks before I chucked in gelatine to clear it up.

This is US-05. Have used it before without issue. Has happened with two brews in a row.

Didn't happen with S-33 or WB-06

Can you put it somwhere cold before botteling?
has done the trick for me some times

Nah we're short on fridge space. Where it currently is, is where it has to stay.

On the subject on Yeast, has anyone use T-58 with gluten free and had good results?

Say last time I had it in primary for nearly three weeks before I chucked in gelatine to clear it up.

This is US-05. Have used it before without issue. Has happened with two brews in a row.

Didn't happen with S-33 or WB-06

Nah we're short on fridge space. Where it currently is, is where it has to stay.

On the subject on Yeast, has anyone use T-58 with gluten free and had good results?

I've used T-58 in my Belgian Witless, and had very good results. I used it in the warmer end of its range to bring out the flavors, I want to try using it at the lower end for a cleaner ale one of these days...

I've used T-58 in my Belgian Witless, and had very good results. I used it in the warmer end of its range to bring out the flavors, I want to try using it at the lower end for a cleaner ale one of these days...

What fermentables did you use in that recipe? And what sort of flavours did the yeast produce at the higher end?

Also do you have the witless recipe written down anywhere?

Currently reading "Brew like a monk" so I'm tempted to try a bit more belgian style brewing soon.

What fermentables did you use in that recipe? And what sort of flavours did the yeast produce at the higher end?

Also do you have the witless recipe written down anywhere?

Currently reading "Brew like a monk" so I'm tempted to try a bit more belgian style brewing soon.

6 lbs sorghum, 1 lb rice extract, flavored with orange peel and coriander.

The yeast gave it that spicy, belgiany taste, sort of like a cross between a trappist ale and a wit. Or at least, what I remember those 2 tasting like...:D

Latest posts

Back