Yeast from bottom of primary... use again tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok, I didn't prep to wash the yeast... sort of last minute thinking to re-use it.

I racked a beer to 2ndary at 11am this morning, went to the LHBS and got more grain (same grain bill as used on the transfer batch). I plan to brew tomorrow morning and would like to dump the yeast on the new wort.

So if I took the yeast and put it in a plastic lidded container (now in fridge) and I take it out in the morning and add 1 cup of wort from the grain bag (drained) for it to sample while I boil for 60 min.

Would I be ok to pitch the slurry on the new wort without too much of an issue?

I could always run in to the shop in the morning to get another pack to pitch but wanted to try this... what do you think?

Cheers

If you add pre-boil wort to the yeast and then pitch it into your post-boil wort, you're pretty much guaranteeing a lacto infection.

If you want to reuse the yeast as it is, just pitch your wort on it like you normally would.

Thanks for the tip CheshireCat!

Learn something new every day! :D

I'll pitch the slurry on the new post boil as I would do normaly with yeast package.

Hopefully I will not infect it.....

I would just make sure you seal the fermenter back up and then pitch the wort directly on top of it the next day. I have also had great luck with just pouring the yeast with a funnel into a 1 gallon jug and leaving it on the cool ground until pitching it even a week later and the beer was great!!

Well, I pitched about 1 cup of the yeast on 70deg wort (62 deg room temp).

I did smell it yesterday as I put the yeast cake in the container and it didn't smell any different today.

It was kinda like a sloppy cheese cake batter beaten to infuse air bubbles.

We should know in a few hours how it goes.....

Should I expect a more violent ferment or just regular as with prior pitch.

The wort is nearly the same 1.053 vs prior 1.058 (finnish 1.012).

I'm going to compare the addition of Coriander to the recipe.

Back