Yeast for Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for any input.

I just wanted to query the group about appropriate yeast strains for a scotch ale. I normally brew these in the -70 and higher range. Wee heavys are a favorite.

I have read in BYO and in other publications that yeast strain, as long as it is mild in flavor, is not overly important to the style. I have done a few with Irish Ale yeast. Some with S-05 and S-04.

Recently I had two beer judge's taste a wee heavy and they immediately picked out that the yeast was not appropriate to style. All in all I am not overly concerned with winning competitions, but I am interested in seeing what other people are doing.

Thanks!

1728 is my first choice; the yeast in Scottish ales are selected more for what they don't bring to the beer vs. what they do. IOW, they need to be very neutral and cleanly attenuative.

I know some people have had success using Nottingham or US-05 (which Jamil suggests), but my brew buddy did a 70/- with US-05 and the US-05 overattenuated in typical fashion, leaving the body thin. We even mashed it high (156° if I recall) but the yeast just thumbed its nose at us.

Yeah, low attenuation is pretty key in Scottish ales, as well as the absence of any yeast flavors. I'm also a fan of 1728 and have used it with good results.

I brewed Palmers award winning Scottish Heavy with good ol' American Ale Wyeast 1056 and it gets rave reviews.

I know some people have had success using Nottingham or US-05 (which Jamil suggests), but my brew buddy did a 70/- with US-05 and the US-05 overattenuated in typical fashion, leaving the body thin. We even mashed it high (156° if I recall) but the yeast just thumbed its nose at us.

QFT!! :(

Anyone try using S-04 in a 60-80/-?

Latest posts

Back