Yeast didnt rehydrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
So, I just got done brewing deadringer ipa extract kit form northern brewer. It came with safale us-05 yeast. I rehydrated the yeast by putting a cup of water in a measuring cup, stuck it in the microwave for 2 minutes till it boiled and letting it cool to 90 degrees. Sprinkled the yeast on top and waited 15 minutes and it wasn't doing much. So I stirred it and it was all clumpy and stuck to my stirrer. I let it sit for another 15 minutes and pitched it. It was pretty much clumpy water when I pitched. At 68 degrees. Not sure what to do now .try and ferment at a higher temp maybe it will get started or piching another pack of yeast . Thank you for your help

Forgot to mention I forgot to sanitize my measuring cup. Maybe being in the microwave sanitizes it ? I would think it would rehydrate even if it wasn't completely sanitized

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to me. I would ferment at normal temps.

So, I just got done brewing deadringer ipa extract kit form northern brewer. It came with safale us-05 yeast. I rehydrated the yeast by putting a cup of water in a measuring cup, stuck it in the microwave for 2 minutes till it boiled and letting it cool to 90 degrees. Sprinkled the yeast on top and waited 15 minutes and it wasn't doing much. So I stirred it and it was all clumpy and stuck to my stirrer. I let it sit for another 15 minutes and pitched it. It was pretty much clumpy water when I pitched. At 68 degrees. Not sure what to do now .try and ferment at a higher temp maybe it will get started or piching another pack of yeast . Thank you for your help

Forgot to mention I forgot to sanitize my measuring cup. Maybe being in the microwave sanitizes it ? I would think it would rehydrate even if it wasn't completely sanitized

I tend to not worry about rehydrating yeast, have good results with it so i dont worry to much. but i do see a better product with liquid yeast vs dry yeast

From Fermentis:

Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the
expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes),
maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream
into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of
the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the
yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes
and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

You didn't allow it to re-hydrate fully.

You will be fine.
Only thing I would have done differently is to shake up the carboy to help aerate stir in the yeast.

I rehydrate my yeast the way John Palmer described in a podcast. 2 cups water boiled and then cooled to 80ish. Sanitize a ziplock bag and add the water and sprinkle in the yeast. Now you can work out the yeast clumps etc while it is hydrating for 30mins or so. Sanitize a corner of the bag, cut and pour into carboy. Shake carboy until exhausted. ;)

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I didn't hydrate long enough. Never had a problem rehydrating for 30 min before. Next time ill wait a little longer

To me, making a starter eliminates about 99 percent of the questions that people have about their yeast on here.
You get lots of yeast and you know what you've got. Win win.

The only down side is that sometimes I don't get time to brew when I wanted to and my starter grows as I continue to feed it thinking I'll get time tomorrow or the next day to brew.

About three or four nights ago I had an older starter that was bigger than I wanted to pitch. Put it in the fridge for about 35 hours or so, let the yeast settle out.

I used about half of it in last nights beer. Bubbles going like crazy 6 hours later when I got up this morning!

I rehydrate by starting at 110F, dissolving my GoFerm (1g per gram of yeast), That gets the temp down to about 104F where I add the yeast. In about 20 min I have 1/4" or so of foam and I begin tempering it down to the wort temp before pitching. IMHO 90F is too cold for reyhration

helibrewer said:
I rehydrate by starting at 110F, dissolving my GoFerm (1g per gram of yeast), That gets the temp down to about 104F where I add the yeast. In about 20 min I have 1/4" or so of foam and I begin tempering it down to the wort temp before pitching. IMHO 90F is too cold for reyhration

I'll have to try a higher temp next time. This was only my second batch. The first time I rehydrated at 90f turned out great. This time it didn't

Back