Yeast Dead - Suggestions On Different Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
OK here's the deal.

I am (or was) making a Czech Pilsner. Pretty sure my yeast is dead. 52 hours an no activity. I could be wrong and I'm sure I will hear 'wait it out' but for the sake of this thread I am interested in other yeast options.

Again to be clear, this is not a 'my batch isn't fermenting what do I do' thread. This is a thread about introducing a different yeast regardless if the previous yeast is dead/stuck or whatever.

I have T-58 on hand. I am thinking of pitching it because 1: it ferments like a mutha trucka, 2: it is similar to a wit minus the fact I'm missing wheat.

I also have Nottingham, 04 and 05 on hand. I can't possibly fathom 04 working but I have it so who knows.

Yes, I could probably trek on down to my LHBS for a lager strain but quite honestly I'm trying to avoid that.

At this point I am trying to salvage the beer with what I have.

Suggestions/ideas are welcome :)

The recipe is simple. Some pilsner malt and saaz hops.

I would like to ask: did you proof your yeast or create a yeast starter prior to pitching? If not, how did you pitch? Are you seeing any type of bubble lock pressure? Are you sure that your fermentation vessel is air tight other than the bubble lock? Completely dead yeast is not usual unless it is liquid and handled improperly.

I wouldn't do anything without taking a gravity reading first. If you do that and find that OG has not changed, then add more yeast. Are you sure it's not just done?

T-58 is going to give you significant clove, so if you are okay with that, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd use US-05 if it comes down to either that or 04.

Look guys, I appreciate the responses about fermentation, staters, gravity readings, pitch rate, airlock activity and whatever but for sake of this thread, I am asking for ideas on yeast to pitch.

Let's pretend I haven't even boiled my batch yet. Let's pretend I intended to do a Czech Pilsner but don't have access to a preferred lager yeast.
Let's pretend I can only pitch an ale yeast.

What would you do?

T-58 is going to give you significant clove, so if you are okay with that, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd use US-05 if it comes down to either that or 04.

I use 58 a lot. I like it. I think if I use it, I will end up with a pseudo/fake belgian wit which I'm OK with.

This recipe is just Saaz and pilsner. Not a whole lot going on.

But hey maybe someone has a better idea.

What yeast did you use? What temperature. If you are doing a lager at low temperatures they do take longer than ale yeasts at warmer temperatures. They are also bottom fermenting and show different signs than ale yeasts.

I do suggest that you take a gravity reading before you pitch more yeast.

The recipe seems a little British or Continental so Nottingham or S-04 would give you a British pale ale. Any of the yeasts will work though.

OK disregarding that the beer may be fermenting just fine. Trying not to come off as snotty: The choice is subjective. What I may like others may hate. I think it best to read the flavor profiles each yeast will impart and make your own decision. You already have two different suggestions out of 4 possibilities.

Never used 58 but you can go with Notty and ferment on the cool side.

I agree. I fermented a cream ale with notty with the temp controller set at 59, came out really clean. Let it lager a few weeks after finishing and you'll be good to go.

I agree. I fermented a cream ale with notty with the temp controller set at 59, came out really clean. Let it lager a few weeks after finishing and you'll be good to go.

I've been using the sh$t out of Notty lately for experiments. And every time I choose the other yeast. Maybe it's 04 or 1335 or whatever.

That lends me to believe I just don't like Notty. Doesn't mean it is bad, just means I don't prefer it.

At this point if I remotely want to stay within the same galaxy of the style I think 05 at 60 or so would be best.

Or I could totally bust things up and do a bullsh$t Belgian with the 58 and just see what happens.

In fact my 'house beer' and the beer most of my friends prefer is a 'bull****' beer that happened the same way using the same yeast......

Oh the webs we spin lol..................

A Czech pilsner should give you a pretty clean base to start with.

Personally I would hit it hard with dry hops and pitch S-05 for a yellow sort of pale ale, since you already have the bitterness there.

I like Belgian beers too, but you might have a bit too much bittering and find it gets in the way of the yeast flavours?

A Czech pilsner should give you a pretty clean base to start with.

Personally I would hit it hard with dry hops and pitch S-05 for a yellow sort of pale ale, since you already have the bitterness there.

I like Belgian beers too, but you might have a bit too much bittering and find it gets in the way of the yeast flavours?

That's an interesting thought. The alpa is 2.2 for the Saaz I have but I'm hitting 35 IBUs.

Typically you aren't trying to break the 20 IBU threshold with a wit style beer.

Now you have me thinking Sadu lol......dang you!!!!!!

I've been using the sh$t out of Notty lately for experiments. And every time I choose the other yeast. Maybe it's 04 or 1335 or whatever.

That lends me to believe I just don't like Notty. Doesn't mean it is bad, just means I don't prefer it.

At this point if I remotely want to stay within the same galaxy of the style I think 05 at 60 or so would be best.

Or I could totally bust things up and do a bullsh$t Belgian with the 58 and just see what happens.

In fact my 'house beer' and the beer most of my friends prefer is a 'bull****' beer that happened the same way using the same yeast......

Oh the webs we spin lol..................

That's funny, I can't taste much with Notty, we all have different taste buds. Be careful going that low with S5, when I did I got a some peach flavors.

Back