Yeast cropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying a spontaneous fermentation later this year, and if it works I would like to save some of the yeast. I have an idea of a way to crop a sample of yeast to save. The reason I devised this plan is that I've heard that if top cropping yeast that it isn't recommended to hold on to the yeast for a long time. I'm wondering if I run a blow off into some pre-boiled water if it might keep for a while should I attemp to reuse it at a later date. My thought is that If I put two holes in the top of a mason jar, that I can put the blowoff through one hole and an air lock on the other to keep the blowoff sanitary. See ghetto diagram:
Yeastsampling.jpg

Is this just stupid enough to work?

I'm just that good. The beer I brew is so vast that it has tides :D

I did this once, and it worked. But beware -- if there's enough yeast blowing off, it will fill the collection jar and start blowing out the airlock! It happened to me. If you sterilize (not sanitize) the jar, you should be able to get away without any boiled water, which would improve the capacity of the jar...

Latest posts

Back