Yeast Clumping at the Surface. Now what?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
So I made a "double" Belgian Wit and used Wyeast's Wit, I forget the number. I first started to worry when the yeast was floating at the top. I was quickly schooled in yeast that do this. I was told eventually it would settle out. No.

So it's been 42 days in the primary (3gal Carboy) and the yeast is still floating. Do I:

1) Cold crash for a while then bottle?

2) Buy another carboy and transfer it over for more clearing?

3) Poke at the yeat with my turkey baster or racking cane to get it to sink?

4) Just rack into bottling bucket and then it's business as usual?

How much yeast are we talking here? If it's just a few floaters, screw 'em. If you've got a whole scummy film on top... well, let's not get into that. This might require pictures.

yeast replicates, so it can float and do it's duty. like revvy says, take a grav reading. if you don't have a hydrometer, secondary it

Kanz - It looks like someone scooped cottage cheese into the carboy.
Revvy - I'll take the reading in a couple minutes and we'll go from there.

I'll post a pic with the OG and the gravity reading I'm about to take.

SANY0439.jpg
SANY0438.jpg

OG: 1.077
SG: 1.024

Needs more time. Should have gone down to 1.019ish or am I wrong?

In my opinion, the beer is likely finished. 1.024 is not bad attenuation judging from your OG. If you are worried about it though as it is a big beer and they can ferment a bit slower near the end, take another reading in another two to three days to be sure it does not drop further and it is indeed done.

Though, if that were my beer, I would now bottle. Those yeast floaties are standard is pretty much any beer I have ever made. They just add flavor, do not fear them.

Looks pretty standard to me. If you can cold crash, go for it (I can't, so I don't). If not, you're probably fine just bottling. As someone above said, if you're really worried, you can wait a few days and take another hydro sample, but my money would be on the beer's being finished.

I may be able to for this small batch. Depending on how cold it needs to get. I have been told anywhere from 35 to 45F should be enough to make the yeast sleepy. If that is true then all I would have to do is leave it outside for a night in 43F, or if need be I could put the carboy in an empty bucket and keep it full of ice or switch out bottles. All while outside of course.

Technically ale yeast will start floculating at whatever the lowest temp number is. Usually in the low 50's so yeah leaving it outside tonight should pull it down.

Cool. I'll leave it outside tonight and bottle tomorrow. Thanks Revvy.

Latest posts

Back