Yeast Cleanup and Target FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rekatsifu

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

How do you allow for yeast cleanup without going past your target FG? It's never really been a problem for me, but lately my beers are fermenting fast (2-3 days) and continue when I allow for clean up of a total fermentation time of one week. Is this when pitching calculations come into play?

Thanks!

A beer isn't finished until it has stopped fermenting. If the gravity is falling, then you still have fermentation, just at a different rate. See where your beers are finishing for your set up, taste them and see if your process needs altering for a different FG.

Hi Guys,

How do you allow for yeast cleanup without going past your target FG? It's never really been a problem for me, but lately my beers are fermenting fast (2-3 days) and continue when I allow for clean up of a total fermentation time of one week. Is this when pitching calculations come into play?

Thanks!

What ram5ey said. The FG drops fast for the first days, primary fermentation. Secondary fermentation is where it doesnt drop as fast and also does the housecleaning after the party.

I think most homebrewers stick close to the 2-week "rule". Then the beer most likely has reached its FG, and also had time to clean up so you dont get any off-flavours. Pitching calculators are just to predict the amount of yeast you need to get a healthy and tasty beer.

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

I agree with the other posts. Let it finish where it finishes. Yeast is living and regardless of the strain they act a little different. Another thing to keep in mind is most brew programs will not recalculate FG to compensate for mash temp. It is just too difficult to hit it dead on. They just calculate only varying for OG and yeast attenuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back