Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
I have Jamil's English Southern Brown in the primary and when I keg it it will be 12 days in the primary. On the same day I will keg it, I will brew Jamil's Ordinary Bitter and pitch it on top of the yeast cake from the Southern Brown. Since they are nearly the same alcohol content, will this present any problems? :mug:

No problem, should work out just fine.

You are overpitching, but that's okay. If you feel like doing something about it, you can pour out 1/2 the slurry and rack your beer onto what is left, it's not going to matter too much though. Try to get out as much of the finished beer as you can. Expect a very fast fermentation.

I'd pour out at least 3/4 of the slurry, or better still, use a yeast calculator to determine the correct amount of slurry. Ordinary bitter will not be good without the proper yeast character from the right sized pitch. Overpitching will make a very dull bitter.

I'd pour out at least 3/4 of the slurry, or better still, use a yeast calculator to determine the correct amount of slurry. Ordinary bitter will not be good without the proper yeast character from the right sized pitch. Overpitching will make a very dull bitter.

I agree. Probably 1/4 cup of slurry is more than enough.

I'd pour most of the yeast cake into sanitized mason jars, and save them in the fridge, and use the proper amount of yeast for the bitter.

More than a 1/2 cup of slurry will be overkill. check out the Mr. Malty yeast calculator for more information.

Back