Yeast cake decision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyherrick

Reaction score
Hello,

I am brewing a porter on Friday and have two different yeast options. One is to reuse some of the yeast cake from a cider that I am fermenting with nottingham. The other is to use dry muntons ale yeast. I have never reused yeast before and am a little nervous.

Can anyone offer me some guidance. Thanks

You typically wouldn't want to reuse a cider yeast for a beer. I've never tried it personally, but the different types of sugar would cause the yeast to produce a different set of metabolic enzymes.

You typically wouldn't want to reuse a cider yeast for a beer. I've never tried it personally, but the different types of sugar would cause the yeast to produce a different set of metabolic enzymes.

+1, that yeast will be effiecient at crunching simple sugars as a result of the cider fermentation. It would not do a good job of working on malted barley sugars. Pitch fresh yeast.

What about the other way around? Yeast from beer into cider? I have about a week until a fermenter with some yeast from an APA becomes available and want to reuse as much as possible. Thoughts?

What about the other way around? Yeast from beer into cider? I have about a week until a fermenter with some yeast from an APA becomes available and want to reuse as much as possible. Thoughts?

Not sure...I've never tried it. It might work, but do you really want to be pitching a hopped slurry into a cider?

I was thinking a little washing was in order before pitching into the cider or the brown ale I was going to use the yeasties for.

Back