Yeast Beastie Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm just now getting into making starters, and like when I first started brewing I am worrying myself silly over messing stuff up. So, I am making my first Saison today and have a starter going for 24+ hours. I have been shaking the starter every chance I get. I haven't seen any Krausen so far. I can see bubbles streaming up the sides and when I shack the started I get about 2" of foam (i'm assuming this is Co2 leaving the solution). Are all signs good? Thanks!!

:mug:

Yep, all signs are good. The starter I made for last weekend's brew didn't have much krausen either, even after 48 hours, but 36 hours after pitching, the beer was rockin'! Your starter is fine. Happy brewin!

I'm new to starters as well, but have a few under my belt. I try to read lots on starters, process, etc and have found that you may miss the whole krausen period. I've only seen one very active starter out of 4 so far. That's a function of timing (I use the "stir when I pass it" method and only see so much) and type of yeast.

I look up yeast characteristics on the brand web site (ie. White Labs, Safale, etc) and find some good info on what to expect. For example, I just did a starter using WLP320 Hefeweisen yeast and found very little signs of activity until I saw the floculation on day 2 or so, which was light anyway.

Good luck. Doing starters are just like when you begin brewing, but it get's better with more experience. Relax and have a homebrew.

-Brian

I mashed wort for both a WLP300 and a WLP320 starters this morning. The 300 was at high krausen after 3-4 hours of intermittent shaking. The 320 is just now at low krausen seven hours later. I already pitched the 300. I'll brew my American rye for the 320 tomorrow.

It was easy to tell when they had about finished the growth phase because I put my palm over the foil on the opening when I shook and I could hear and feel the CO2 coming out.

I've never seen kraus on a starter, I don't know if this is because they are often on a stir plate or because of the extremely high yeast/wort ratio. But what you described sounds like a good healthy starter. And I envy you. I am jonesin to brew

I'd imagine the stir plate would stir in the yeast so it would never get krausen.

Anyway my 300 in the Hefewizen is already glerping the airlock, 12 hours after I crushed the grain for the stater.

Malticulous said:
I'd imagine the stir plate would stir in the yeast so it would never get krausen.

Anyway my 300 in the Hefewizen is already glerping the airlock, 12 hours after I crushed the grain for the stater.

You do your starters AG even? Your hardcore dude.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. Well, I decided to do a experiment with my Saison. I actually brewed up 8 gallons of saison last light and pitched Wyeast's French Saison & Belgian Saison (each 4 gallons). After about 12 hours the belgian that I made a starter is rocking and rolling at about 82 degrees. The french yeast is showing signs of fermentation with a thin layer of krausen and a few blurbs in the airlock. The temperature for the french saison is at 75ish (upper limits). I cant wait! I hope they both turn out. This is by far the warmest I have ever fermented at... :)

Back