yeast bay vermont ale review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuBru

Reaction score
Has anybody used yeast bay vermont ale? How is the attenuation and flavor profile and overall performance?

I've got an IPA fermenting right now with it. On Day 5, Fermentation looks to be pretty much done. Krausen has dropped completely. Will take a gravity reading over the weekend to see how well it attenuated.

Please if you can make and update post and share your experience with this yeast if you would not mind..or pm me the results..really interested in knowing how this yeast performs...i just ordered one will post my results..but i still would like to know others results..thank you cheers

I ordered one on Monday and still hasn't shipped, I guess it will arrive late next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a Mosaic Pale Ale with this yeast. I fermented the beer at 68°F, didn't bother raising the temp like the Yeast Bay recommends on their website. Gravity went from 1.057 to 1.013 for 76% attenuation which is consistent with the Conan strain I have used in the past (harvested from Heady cans). The beer is still receiving it's 2nd dry-hop so I don't have any flavor notes yet, short of the hydrometer sample which tasted like a mosaic bomb with a slight yeast bite to it still.

Okay, took a hydro reading after 6 days in fermenter. 1.058 to 1.012, around 78% att.. Hydro sample taste was absoulutely incredible! I started out fermentation around 64 degrees, let it rise to 68. So far I am a fan of this

I'm going to try and brew with this strain this weekend (a pliny clone, east coast meets west coast). Still not sure if that's a good idea or not, so I may chicken out and use WLP001 instead.

Apparently the Vermont Ale can get some pretty nice attenuation (88% on the first go around) if you treat it well, according to the comments on this Facebook thread:

https://www.facebook.com/theyeastbay/posts/1486166931607354

"Temp schedule...64 pitch, temp controlled to 68ish, ramped up when activity slowed down to 72-74 (96hrs in) "

Raising the temperature after the bulk of fermentation has completed seems to do the trick for most people. Brewers who have been getting 72-74% appear to be fermenting on the low end (62-64F) and not raising the temperature near the end of fermentation. If you follow the temperature scheme above, the one recommended by The Yeast Bay, you'll be good.

I pitched a vial into a 2.5 gallon batch on Sunday and today I came home and the krausen was gone. Fermented at 68 in a 1.042 wort so I guess it could be done but I will wait a few days and check the gravity.

I pitched a vial into a 2.5 gallon batch on Sunday and today I came home and the krausen was gone. Fermented at 68 in a 1.042 wort so I guess it could be done but I will wait a few days and check the gravity.

I would definitely wait and check the gravity in a week or so. Large krausen formation/staying power has no strong correlation to active fermentation. Formation, as well as maintenance, of krausen depends on a lot of factors.

That's why I said I was going to wait. I was curious to see if any one else had a similar experience to this.

That's why I said I was going to wait. I was curious to see if any one else had a similar experience to this.

Right on. In all fairness you didn't actually ask/inquire if anyone else had that experience. Rather, you made a statement about what you saw and what you planned to do, which I actually agreed with and gave a reasoning for. No worries.

To answer your question now that I know you're asking it, yes, I have seen a large krausen from Vermont Ale that sticks around longer than a couple days, and I've also seen it fall quickly. Like I've seen with many yeast I've used, krausen formation can vary quite a bit depending on a number of factors.

Hope that helps (or puts your mind at ease)!

My double IPA fermented like a bastard at 68 and it looks done about 2 days later, I hope I wasnt too warm.

I brewed on 4/6 and pitched about 300 billion cells into each fermenter containing 5.7 gallons of 1.073 wort at 68 degrees (Heady clone). I wasn't sure where I wanted to ferment, so I changed temps a few times:

4/6: Pitch at 68. 3 hours later, after activity began, I set the temp controller to 60.
4/7: Raised to 62.
4/8: Raised to 63.
4/10: Fermentation slowing down. Yeast dropping out. 1.045 gravity. Not good, so I raised temp controller to 64.
4/11: Raised temp to 66 in the morning. 1.042 gravity in the evening. Raised temp controller to 68 and roused. Yeast and trub now completely in suspension. A few hours later fermentation has increased (lots more movement in the fermenters).

My fermentation doesn't seem to be going nearly as fast as everyone else's. Has anyone actually taken gravity readings right before they ramped to the 70s? I would go to the 70s now, but I don't want to do it too early and get off flavors as my gravity is still pretty high.

I brewed on 4/6 and pitched about 300 billion cells into each fermenter containing 5.7 gallons of 1.073 wort at 68 degrees (Heady clone). I wasn't sure where I wanted to ferment, so I changed temps a few times:

4/6: Pitch at 68. 3 hours later, after activity began, I set the temp controller to 60.
4/10: Fermentation slowing down. Yeast dropping out. 1.045 gravity. Not good, so I raised temp controller to 64.
4/11: Raised temp to 66 in the morning. 1.042 gravity in the evening. Raised temp controller to 68 and roused. Yeast and trub now completely in suspension. A few hours later fermentation has increased (lots more movement in the fermenters).

My fermentation doesn't seem to be going nearly as fast as everyone else's. Has anyone actually taken gravity readings right before they ramped to the 70s? I would go to the 70s now, but I don't want to do it too early and get off flavors as my gravity is still pretty high.

I notice two things. One is that the temperature seems to be all over the place, which typically isn't good. However, the swings aren't that large, so perhaps that's not the culprit. Also, The Yeast Bay recommends fermenting in the upper 60's and finishing in the lower 70's. Seems like you've been around the low to mid 60's. I would rouse the yeast, raise to 69 F for about a few days, and then raise to 72 until a stable gravity has been achieved.

Good Luck!

I had been getting ready to brew a Pliny the Elder clone but pitched Vermont Ale instead. Mashed at 151, fermented at 68-70. Crazy attenuation. My OG was 1.072 and FG was 1.004. I couldn't believe it, and recalibrated my hydrometer just to be sure. I had just calibrated my thermometer before brewing, so I'm pretty sure that those numbers are reliable. It looks and smells great, and I'm OK if it's a little on the dry side. We'll see what it's like after a couple of weeks in the bottle.

This is a horrible ferment schedule IMO. Starting @68 and dropping over 10% to 60 most likely shocked the yeast just as they were going into the growth phase which caused the stuck ferment you have.

Next time start low and raise to proper temps, anytime you chill after active fermentation you are going to put the yeast to sleep, even if it is only a couple degress.

I had been getting ready to brew a Pliny the Elder clone but pitched Vermont Ale instead. Mashed at 151, fermented at 68-70. Crazy attenuation. My OG was 1.072 and FG was 1.004. I couldn't believe it, and recalibrated my hydrometer just to be sure. I had just calibrated my thermometer before brewing, so I'm pretty sure that those numbers are reliable. It looks and smells great, and I'm OK if it's a little on the dry side. We'll see what it's like after a couple of weeks in the bottle.

Just curious how long fermentation took. I mashed at 152 and fermented at 68 for four days then two days ago put it up to 72 as Yeast Bay recommends. my OG was 1.076. It's only been six days so I am not touching it for now, but just curious how long it took you to get to 1.004.

Made a Heady Topper clone from the massive thread here on HBT. Mashed at 149/150 and fermented at 64 ramping to 71 over 2 weeks before dry hopping. OG 1.079 and FG 1.020. Was hoping it would come down a little more but I'm not upset with it. Hydro samples smelled and tasted great. Might take another hydro sample when dry hop complete, but I don't expect much change. Great peachy notes from this yeast. Will use it again for sure.

Made a Heady Topper clone from the massive thread here on HBT. Mashed at 149/150 and fermented at 64 ramping to 71 over 2 weeks before dry hopping. OG 1.079 and FG 1.020. Was hoping it would come down a little more but I'm not upset with it. Hydro samples smelled and tasted great. Might take another hydro sample when dry hop complete, but I don't expect much change. Great peachy notes from this yeast. Will use it again for sure.

Sounds like it's going to be good! Just out of curiosity do you think you fermented it low if your FG was a bit higher in the end? As Yeast Bay says ferment at 67-69 for 3-4 days then up to 72 to finish out fermentation (if I recall). Obviously there are all sorts of schedules a person can follow, but just wondering if with your lower temperature it affected attenuation.

Sounds like it's going to be good! Just out of curiosity do you think you fermented it low if your FG was a bit higher in the end? As Yeast Bay says ferment at 67-69 for 3-4 days then up to 72 to finish out fermentation (if I recall). Obviously there are all sorts of schedules a person can follow, but just wondering if with your lower temperature it affected attenuation.

Oops. Misread the thread title. I used Vermont IPA yeast (Gigayeast) not yeast bay. Temp range for IPA yeast goes a little lower.

I just poured my first glass on an IPA I brewed with Yeast Bay Vermont Ale.

6 gallon batch
Brewed on 5/5/14
6.5 lbs Marris Otter
6.5 lbs Domestic 2-row
75 IBU of Hopshot at 60
3 oz FF7C and 2 oz Simcoe at Whirlpool
2 oz FF7C, 1 oz Simcoe, and 1 oz Amarillo at dry hop. Dry hopped when gravity was at 1.025. Removed dry hops 3 days later when gravity was 1.012
Single infusion mash at 152. Batch sparge. No Chill.

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.011

Pitched a 1500 ml real wort starter that had been on a stir plate for 24 hours. Probably the most active yeast starter I've ever had. I about had a blow-off on the starter in the flask. I pitched at 67 degrees. I held that steady for 3 days, added dry-hops, and then raised it to 72 for 3 more days. I removed the dry-hops and turned off the temp controller and let it sit for another 4 days before kegging. Kegged it and force carbed. Added gelatin at kegging as it was very cloudy.

I'm very pleased with this one. I don't brew a lot of American IPAs. It's been several years since I've brewed one and kind of swore them off after some sub-par attempts. I figured it was easier to buy a good IPA than brew a sub-par one. I think with this batch I'm back on the IPA train. To be honest. I don't know where the yeast comes in to this one, however. It's a fruit bomb and I can't tell where the yeast ends and the hops begin. I definitely want to use this yeast again in a milder beer so I can get a handle on it. I saved some from this batch and hope to get a simpler brew in with it.

I was kind of worried with this yeast at first. When I tasted it at dry-hopping it was throwing off some moderate phenols. Very Belgianish. I figured I'd let it see where it would go, and sure enough it cleaned itself up. I'm not a smart man and don't know what's going on at the chemical level, but I like what it did. Always nice to be surprised in a good way.

I also have the Funktown Pale Ale yeast from Yeast Bay going right now. It is in a vienna/amarillo SMaSH that I can compare to another similar recipe with S-05. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more excited for the Funktown version than my Vermont IPA. So far it is shaping up to be a nice beer. If anyone is at WYES Beer Tasting in New Orleans in a few weeks, come to the Swamp Rat table and ask for some of the funky pale ale.

Bonus beer/cat picture.

6XputSY.jpg

Oops. Misread the thread title. I used Vermont IPA yeast (Gigayeast) not yeast bay. Temp range for IPA yeast goes a little lower.

I see. Would be interesting to see what your recipe is like with the Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, just for comparison.

Excellent bonus picture, Austin!

I did the Fresh Squeezed I found in the HBT recipes but used the Vermont Ale yeast instead of what the recipe called for. Trying to be patient with this one, but I think I'll take a sample later today and see where it is at. Today is day eight. Glad yours turned out well.

Just curious how long fermentation took. I mashed at 152 and fermented at 68 for four days then two days ago put it up to 72 as Yeast Bay recommends. my OG was 1.076. It's only been six days so I am not touching it for now, but just curious how long it took you to get to 1.004.

Sorry about the late reply!

It took 25 days in all. I ended up taking nine days before I dry hopped because I had to go out of town. Planned to dry hop for two weeks, but that ran a little long too.

Sorry about the late reply!

It took 25 days in all. I ended up taking nine days before I dry hopped because I had to go out of town. Planned to dry hop for two weeks, but that ran a little long too.

I ended up taking a sample two days ago, which was eight days since pitching. It was at about 1.014. I am dry hopping as well but think I'll let it sit for a bit more first. Although the sample didn't smell boozy I found it tasted boozy with a bit of delayed heat in the throat (ABV is a touch over 8%). According to BeerSmith the IBUs are 100+ and I wondered if my perception of boozy is actually the ABV solely or if the bitterness is also contributing to the perception of it being boozy. I think I have experienced that before when I thought something was boozy but it actually was just the bitterness I was experiencing, or maybe I am out to lunch!

Anyway, it's still quite young and I will take it up to a solid two weeks at least I think then dry hop for about five days, cold crash for a couple then keg.

I just did a 20 gallon batch of Heady clone last weekend and ended up with an OG of 1.082, which was slightly higher than I wanted. My mash ended up being too efficient. :) I brewed on a Saturday, and by Wednesday the bubbles slowed down to one bubble every half second, so I decided to take a gravity reading....1.018. I just took a reading three days later and I'm at 1.016 now. According to the online calculator at Brewersfriend that puts me at 78% attenuation so far, and I don't think this beer is quite done and may move a few points yet. I forgot to mention, I fermented the entire time at 64 degrees exactly, since that is the temperature of my basement year round (I have two thermometers in my workshop where I ferment).

I used this yeast once before on a different Imperial IPA that used 3 pounds of Citra hops (22 gallon batch) and was very pleased. The yeast definitely helped with the citrus notes of that beer. That time I got around 80% attenuation and it was also @ 64 degrees the entire time.

I guess one thing to add is that I do use huge starters due to my batch sizes. I start out with two packs and a 1 gallon starter, then step it up another two gallons to get to the quantity recommended @ yeastcalculator.com. I also oxigenate for 10-20 minutes with an aquarium pump in the conical before pitching, and then oxigenate the next morning for 5-10 minutes until the foam reaches the top of the conical. This is how I've been doing it for quite a while now. The yeast easily eats through all that oxygen during the fermentation process, and I have never tasted any hint of oxidization in my beers. It's possible that my oxigenation process and huge starters helps attenuation along, and that is maybe why I've never had the need to raise the temperature to get yeasts to attenuate out all the way. I do believe that the 300 billion cell packs are easily more than enough for a 5 gallon batch though, and I do agree that you should not be changing the temperatures frequently...maybe once or twice raise the temperature by only a few degrees is my advice.

Those are my experiences, and I hope it helps. :tank:

Edit: One other thing. I always rouse my yeast at least 3 times a day. If you do this, be very careful that you don't have an immediate blowoff if it's during activity!

Want to get a starter going tonight for a Sunday brew (plan on a two step starter to harvest some for future batches). Whats the optimal temp for the starter. Do I need to be in the mid-60's like primary fermentation or can I have this at room temp 74 for a couple of days?

I fermented the entire time at 64 degrees exactly, since that is the temperature of my basement year round (I have two thermometers in my workshop where I ferment)

Do you ferment 20 gallons in one fermenter? Did you ever check the temperature in your conical during active fermentation? Your actual fermentation temperature was most likely much higher than 64 degrees and then a little lower every day as fermentation finished up.

I'm not really sure why but I have trouble getting this strain to attenuate past about 75%. And that's the highest.

I actually started pitching this and letting it go for a couple days then pitching 001. Has worked well for me.

I'm not really sure why but I have trouble getting this strain to attenuate past about 75%. And that's the highest

It looks like the Yeast Bay is aware of this. I just noticed this on their website (which I don't remember seeing when they just started selling the yeast). Maybe you could try this?

"In order to achieve high attenuation, we recommend fermenting at 67-69 ºF for 3-4 days, and then raising the temperature to 72 ºF until a stable gravity is reached. We also recommend mashing at 148-149 ºF and adding a small percentage of the fermentables (~ 5-10%) as sugar.

Attenuation has also been reported to increase when repitching after the first generation."

It looks like the Yeast Bay is aware of this. I just noticed this on their website (which I don't remember seeing when they just started selling the yeast). Maybe you could try this?

"In order to achieve high attenuation, we recommend fermenting at 67-69 ºF for 3-4 days, and then raising the temperature to 72 ºF until a stable gravity is reached. We also recommend mashing at 148-149 ºF and adding a small percentage of the fermentables (~ 5-10%) as sugar.

Attenuation has also been reported to increase when repitching after the first generation."

Every time I brewed with Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, I use that exact fermentation profile and typically have about 7 to 8% of my fermentables as sugar, and my attenuation is typically 79-83% and I achieve a nice ester profile.

The only part of that I haven't done is repitching.

My ester profile is nice, just can't seem to drive that attenuation up any other way.

The repitching I understand. Maybe I should do a pale ale first then pitch onto the cake.

What is the lag time for this yeast? I pitched a starter from my stir plate. No action after a full day.

Going to probably have to pitch something else to get the beer going.

What is the lag time for this yeast? I pitched a starter from my stir plate. No action after a full day.

I pitched a starter of this yeast last Saturday night around 8pm, and the next morning there was obvious airlock activity. So it was 12 hours or less for me.

I began a starter from some washed yeast (2nd generation) on Wednesday night and I didn't see any sign of activity until this morning but now it has a good inch or so of krausen so 36 hours for me. I use a stir plate and am not used to it taking so long.

Quick question. Is this yeast prone to get stuck? I pitched a very healthy pitch (350-400B cells) into 5 gals of 1.073 wort (mash temp at 153F). I got down to 1.024 which isn't horrible (66% attenuation), but much higher of an FG than I thought for a yeast that "rips through sugar" as its been advertised.

The only thing I can think of is that my fermentation chamber really fluctuates temp due to overheating then overcooling so the temp has been going back and forth between 66 and 68 but I wouldn't think that would be enough to stall it.

Quick question. Is this yeast prone to get stuck? I pitched a very healthy pitch (350-400B cells) into 5 gals of 1.073 wort (mash temp at 153F). I got down to 1.024 which isn't horrible (66% attenuation), but much higher of an FG than I thought for a yeast that "rips through sugar" as its been advertised.

The only thing I can think of is that my fermentation chamber really fluctuates temp due to overheating then overcooling so the temp has been going back and forth between 66 and 68 but I wouldn't think that would be enough to stall it.

I experienced the same. I gently rose the yeast cake and ramped the temperature slightly. But it took more than three weeks for final gravity. I suppose it's better to overpitch with Conan, than underpitching.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back