yeast bay vermont ale review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, great to know I'm not alone. I was hoping to turn my IPA around quickly, but I have no set time frame, so patience will be key.

Upon first sampling of this, all I can say is WOW, I have never experienced a yeast flavor like this. The combo of Citra hops I used and the peach/citrus of the yeast is absolutely phenomenal.

If you can harvest some of the yeast from this batch and work this 2nd generation up on a stir plate. I'll think you'll find it attenuate a little better and give an even better flavor profile.

Case in point, I just checked gravity on a double ipa just 5 days from brew day as activity has basically stopped. 1.074 to 1.011 in 5 days. 85% attenuation with Gen 3 yeast slurry from a pale ale brewed previously. I've never been able to get more than 77-78% from first generation Vermont ale. Successive generations are always 84-86% for me.

I like the sound of that. I stepped up two large starters to pitch ~350B cells and leave myself and extra 50-75B unstressed cells for storage. Now the question becomes whether the benefits of an actual brew to create a second generation is different from growing up a gen 2 from a small OG starter.

Interesting... I seemed to have the opposite experience. Pitched this straight from the vial into a white pale ale/hoppy American wheat (OG 1.052) two weeks ago, and by day 7 it had attenuated 80% to 1.010. It's holding steady there now, so I think it's bottling time.

My recipe didn't have any simple sugars:

62% Pale Ale
33% Wheat
5% Crystal 15

1.5 oz of Galaxy late in the boil and another 1.5 oz dry hop after 7 days.

But I did follow the mash/fermentation temperature instructions on the Yeast Bay website:

Mashed for 60 minutes at 150 F (fell to 149 F by the end)
Fermented at 66 F for 5 days, raised to 72 F for 9 days.

Maybe it was just because it was a relatively small beer, but 80% apparent attenuation is alright with me! Hydrometer sample tasted great... Smooth, and definitely peachy!

That is exactly correct. The wort does get warmer than 64 degrees. There is no way for me to prevent that with my current equipment, other than cooling the room substantially below 64 degrees.

Sorry for the 2 year late response! :)

That is exactly correct. The wort does get warmer than 64 degrees. There is no way for me to prevent that with my current equipment, other than cooling the room substantially below 64 degrees.

Sorry for the 2 year late response! :)

No worries, a lot of commercial and homebrew folks pitch and ferment at 66-68, hold during fermentation, and raise to 70ish near the end of fermentation and see fast fermentation, good attenuation and nice water development.

Cheers!

Hi All
Has anyone experienced spicy phenolics with this yeast?
I've had good results with it, but on two occasions feed back from judges have mentioned spicy phenolics which put the beer out of the American Pale Ale catergory.
Fermentation was as follows with ample yeast for the job.

68 for 7 hrs
65 for 5 days
69.8 for 7 days
Cold Crash and keg.

Any ideas?

Back