Yeast attenuation & Mesh temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinyl_key

Reaction score
I have some thought going through my head regarding wort fermentability and yeast attenuation with regard to flavor.

What differences would occur if you mashed low, but used an under-attenuating yeast, as opposed to mashing high and using a good attenuator?

So, as a hypothetical, same grain bill:
A using a yeast at 80% attenuation, but 10% less fermentable wort with respect to B
B using 70% attenuating yeast, but 10% more fermentable wort with respect to A

Number wise, these beers would (presumably) start at the same OG and end at the same FG, but there's got to be some difference in flavor. Yeast esters aside, what kinds of things could one expect?

That's a great question! I guess that some ingredients play a part, too, because I've had beers that used a yeast strain with an average attenuation of 68%, and I got 85%! So much of that would be a guessing game, as well as experience.

Some of the differences, right off of the top of my head- even if the FG is the same, the higher mashed beer would be "thicker" bodied, fully bodied, with more long-chain sugars while the lower mashed beer would have residual sweetness from the higher FG, but be thinner bodied.

Oh, I didn't even think about mouthfeel.
Hmm. I may have to conduct some beer science for this...

Back