Yeast as a Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsumbeers

Reaction score
Anyone else out there use yeast as a yeast nutrient? I cannot remember where I read or heard about it, but I toss a teaspoon or so of dried bakers yeast in to the boil. It seems to work, but I also started aerating with o2 around the same time, so who knows.

Anyone else out there do this, or hear of it?

Yes:::

Yeast hulls are used in a number of the mixes sold as yeast nutrient and I have tossed in the PACKECT that came with a brew kit and then used my own...

Do not add O2 to the boil oxygen can “BIND” to some of the other compounds in the wort and reduce shelf life….

No aeration goes on until wort is cooled. Just saying that I changed a couple of things in the process that affect fermentation. But, I do think the yeast is helping. It's Soylent Green for Yeasties!

Yup, I toss in a tablespoon of bakers yeast in with my high gravity beers. I bought a pound of yeast from costco and it made terrible bread, so we went back to the old baking yeast for bread and now the cheap stuff is nutrient.

I was thinking of doing this. In the end I'm not sure that it's yeast nutrient as much as it is just more yeast, though. S. cerevisiae is the species used in commercial baker's yeast and in a lot of ale yeast.

If you're going for a very specific flavor and using a certain type of yeast for it, you might want to heat the baker's yeast to make sure it's absolutely dead to prevent contamination.

Edit: Ah yes, it says added to the boil. That'll teach me to post when I'm just waking up. Thanks helibrewer.

I was thinking of doing this. In the end I'm not sure that it's yeast nutrient as much as it is just more yeast, though. S. cerevisiae is the species used in commercial baker's yeast and in a lot of ale yeast.

If you're going for a very specific flavor and using a certain type of yeast for it, you might want to heat the baker's yeast to make sure it's absolutely dead to prevent contamination.

I gathered most folks were adding this to the boil which will kill the yeast...My only opinion is that boiling the yeast could potentially denature beneficial proteins (amino acids). GoFerm and FermAid K are pretty cheap and are great nutients; GoFerm for rehydration, FermAid K for fermentation.

Back