YABC-Yet a Brew Controller: BrewManiacEx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a user manual document.
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewManiacEsp8266/blob/master/docs/BrewManiacExManual_0.3.pdf

If you have installed VSCode+PlatformIO successfully. Just download the source from GitHub. Open the directory that contains "platformio.ini", then you can build and upload
More info:
http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/ide/vscode.html

The web files can be downloaded OTA. You will be guided to download them when you connect to it. (Check chapter 5 in user manual.)

Ok, as soon as I get back home I´ll try it. Thank you very much, and I´ll come back for sharing the results!

There is a user manual document.
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewManiacEsp8266/blob/master/docs/BrewManiacExManual_0.3.pdf

If you have installed VSCode+PlatformIO successfully. Just download the source from GitHub. Open the directory that contains "platformio.ini", then you can build and upload
More info:
http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/ide/vscode.html

The web files can be downloaded OTA. You will be guided to download them when you connect to it. (Check chapter 5 in user manual.)

Oh and also another question. Is the schematic in the folder correct to run under 5v?

So I´ve been searching a bit more, and from the docs within the downloadable files, I can see this schematic

F43.png

Later surfing the blog I found this one which seems to be more complete.

4F4.png

They are equivalent right? I mean the second is better because of the diodes and stuff..

So I´ve been searching a bit more, and from the docs within the downloadable files, I can see this schematic

Later surfing the blog I found this one which seems to be more complete.

They are equivalent right? I mean the second is better because of the diodes and stuff..

The complete one is supposed to be used for both BrewManiacEx and BrewPiLess. The parts for BrewPiLess only are removed in BrewManiacEx github.

So. This is what i managed to do within a 100x100mm pcb board.

Tracks are 1.5mm wide so they might be good enough for tonerr transfer.

I´ll be using a PCF8574 module like the one you see in the attached images for the buttons.

The I2c LCD module, and the buzzer.

There is one wire that has to go in the upper side of the pcb between male headers, and thats for feeding the mosfets with 3.3v.

The rest is single layer.

My intention is to use a PC power supply, so i can get both 5v and 3.3V.

Please any feedback will be appreciated.
I´ll post a public schematci so that anyone can improve this.

EDIT: Project page added.

https://easyeda.com/gonzalito/brewmaniac_EX_copy-88058b0a5d074ccd8868492e49f93818

369.jpg

View attachment pCB10x10.pdf

View attachment esquematico-brewmaniacEX.pdf

I don't understand your BC337 or BC547 implementation on the pcb board. I can't seem to find any that come in a triangle shape...Do I just bend the middle pin? Thanks

That is correct, you just bend the legs. quite standard mounting for TO-92's because it is easier to solder than when they are straight in a row :)

Bigdaddyale: have you ordered and finished the boards?

No, I haven't ordered the boards yet.Thank you for releasing the files.
That is correct, you just bend the legs. quite standard mounting for TO-92's because it is easier to solder than when they are straight in a row :)

Bigdaddyale: have you ordered and finished the boards?

Yeah I began thinking about it. Might use a 3.3v regulator and a phone charger for powering everything else.

There are very few components. Unless your SSR drains a lot, more than 1.5A should be enough.(Correct me if I am wrong.)

I have been using a small 2A/5V power converter, and I don't have any trouble.

There are very few components. Unless your SSR drains a lot, more than 1.5A should be enough.(Correct me if I am wrong.)

I have been using a small 2A/5V power converter, and I don't have any trouble.

Well then that's great. I'll try making the PCB today. I'm a bit short of time.

To get this to work, do I flash the .bin file from github on to the ESP8266 (Wemos D1) with ESP8266Flasher.exe?

To get this to work, do I flash the .bin file from github on to the ESP8266 (Wemos D1) with ESP8266Flasher.exe?

Figured it out. Installed platformio and uploaded the files that way.
I've been losing my mind for the past day because the WifiManager would never show up as a AP to connect to. I finally realized that the WEMOS was already connected to my network; apparently the WEMOS (And other ESP8266?) stores wifi network credentials somewhere that doesn't get wiped out by standard flashing.

Everything is awesome, except.... I cannot get the WEMOS / shield to recognize the DS18B20 sensors. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Black wire -> GND, Yellow wire -> DATA, Red wire -> 3V#

Last edited:
Yes. ESP8266 stores the WiFi confidential in the area that will survive after re-programmed.
I had to esptool.py to erase the settings.

Any idea on how to run the sensorscan method outside of the program? I don't think it's running/discovering my sensors.

Any idea on how to run the sensorscan method outside of the program? I don't think it's running/discovering my sensors.

Are you using multiple sensors? You might try single sensor first.
Or, you can google "DS18B20 Arduino" to find a bunch of sample code.

The OneWire example set to pin 12 (D6 on the WEMOS) finds the DS18B20s with no problem. I am confused.

The OneWire example set to pin 12 (D6 on the WEMOS) finds the DS18B20s with no problem. I am confused.

If you connect multiple sensors, you must use the multi-sensor binary. Setup is necessary for multi-sensor.

If you connect multiple sensors, you must use the multi-sensor binary. Setup is necessary for multi-sensor.

using the following

[env:nodemcuv2-multisensor]
platform = espressif8266
board = nodemcuv2
framework = arduino
build_flags = -Wl,-Tesp8266.flash.4m.ld -DEnableMultiSensor

and

platformio run -e uno -t upload

Result:
# Address
1 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Got it working! Thank you! I'm using jumper wires to navigate the menu.

For reference, when looking at the LCD screen and given the menu options...

P0 - □■□□
P1 - ■□□□
P2 - □□□■
P3 - □□■□
IMG_20171121_085951236.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question. Do I need to feed the 3,3v leg on the wemos with 3,3 volts or is the 5v input for the circuit the only one i should use?

Quick question. Do I need to feed the 3,3v leg on the wemos with 3,3 volts or is the 5v input for the circuit the only one i should use?
I am no expert about circuits.
AFAIK, you feed 5V to D1 mini only. There is a regulator, RT9013, that converts 5V to 3.3V.

I am no expert about circuits.
AFAIK, you feed 5V to D1 mini only. There is a regulator, RT9013, that converts 5V to 3.3V.
Yeah I know, but I meant, if I feed the circuit with 5v, will the 3.3v leg output me 3.3v with enough power for the transistors?

Yeah I know, but I meant, if I feed the circuit with 5v, will the 3.3v leg output me 3.3v with enough power for the transistors?

The spec. says 500mA while ESP8266 requires 300mA max. I don’t know how much GPIOs draw and transistors need.
You might need to find out the numbers and do some math.
I would bet it is enough if you don’t run other components on 3v3 domain.

So I got it to work but I have to what I have wrong with the buttons. They are not responding.

And can't configure the ap because of that.

Make sure you have right the address of IO expander. That is what most people have trouble with.

Anyway I got it to work. Time to test the power outputs. I think that with the diagram I did I can use relays directly, right?

Latest posts

Back