WYeast Smack Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oze152

Reaction score
I was at my LHBS over the weekend and found out that they have Rogue Pacman yeast available for a short time. My only hesitation was that the smack packs looked puffed up a little, and I didnt want to waste my time and money on yeast that may be no good. Can anyone tell me if the yeast is likely still viable, and if so, how long I can store it in my fridge before I have to use it.

should be viable. funny thing is... at my shop, the bags are all puffed too lol

I dont think they are very old, the LHBS just got them in and only have 3 packs. I know I can collect my own yeast from rogue bottles, but I am not sure I know what I'm doing. Maybe I will head back to the store and buy them tonight.

It's more about the date on the package than being puffy, since all these things are shipped and there are temperature changes and handling a little swelling I consider normal from transit. At my LHBS they seem to get fresh shipments twice per month.

That being said I also make starters for all liquid yeast to ensure viability and pitching rate.

i doubt the packs are 100% dead. they might have more dead cells than one might expect because of age, mishandling, heat, etc... but make a starter and you won't really have to worry about that.

Back