Wyeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRN

Reaction score
1. Is there anything wrong with activating Ale Wyeast and leaving it out overnight? I would like to brew in the morning and don't really want to wait the few hours.

2. Instead of using a starter could I just use two pouches of Wyeast (if I had it)?

3. Can I mix different types of yeast to get the cell count up?

4. Does baking yeast impart bad flavors?

Thanks.

1. No. Activating the smack pack is basically like a starter that also sits out at room temp.

2. Yes you can just throw in 2 pouches instead of starter...However, it depends on the starting gravity of your beer. If you are making a high ABV beer than you have a high starting gravity, or if you are doing a lager, that needs more yeast...so 2 packs may not be enough. Use a yeast calculator like MrMalty.com to make sure you pitch enough.

3. Yes, you could use different yeasts...BUT you want to make sure the yeasts compliment each other and the style of beer you are making. If you are talking say Wyeast 1056 and then a White Labs 001...sure you can, they are basically the same yeast, just made by different companies.

4. DON'T DO IT! This is not 1970 anymore when we only had baking yeast to use to brew! Why would you want to do that, to save a few dollars on yeast? Your beer will be drinkable, but wouldn't you want it to be better?

I'd use the same yeast in a multi-pack situation. Overnight would be fine, since it takes a few hours to inflate the pack anyway. And definitely forget the bakers yeast. Not as good as brewers yeast.:mug:

I've activated a smack pack before bed and ended up pitching it after about 16 hours at room temp. It was several years ago but I don't recall any problems doing so.

I was at a friends house over the weekend, he was brewing a 10 gallon batch and he pitched two different Wyeast packs, one German Ale, one Irish Ale, into the same demijohn. I'll be interested to see how it turns out, as I had never seen this done before. He said he does it all the time.

Make your life and brew days simpler, use dry yeast. Rehydrate 1 hour before pitching. Sure simplified my brew days, results have been more consistent, fermentation typically within 4 to 6 hours, and have made consistently good beer. Not to mention saving me money on the high dollar smack packs and vials of liquid yeast so vulnerable to time and temperature issues. It has taken the worry of yeast viability/cell count out of my brew day. Of course, YRMV, and JMHO :D

Make your life and brew days simpler, use dry yeast. Rehydrate 1 hour before pitching. Sure simplified my brew days, results have been more consistent, fermentation typically within 4 to 6 hours, and have made consistently good beer. Not to mention saving me money on the high dollar smack packs and vials of liquid yeast so vulnerable to time and temperature issues. It has taken the worry of yeast viability/cell count out of my brew day. Of course, YRMV, and JMHO :D

Cheers !!! I'll drink to that :)

I think yeast health diminishes quickly at room temp, and it is better to pitch it cold and risk temp shock than it is to let it sit out all night. I do not have any scientific evidence of this, but I believe a few "experts" have this opinion, and I am on board with it.

Not sure how the smack pack sugar/nutrient plays into this, but I would still pitch within a few hours of smacking.

I use dry yeast and like it. It is great to have on hand for when you do not plan ahead for a starter with liquid yeast.

But, there are so many varieties of liquid yeast that are not available in dry yeast. I feel using a good yeast is quite important. Why limit yourself.

I also freeze yeast, I make 4 vials from each starter. If I made 4 more from each for 4 generations I could do 256 brews from one purchase. I have had no inconsistencies when using liquid yeast and my fermentations usually start in the same time frame you note.

So in the long run dry yeast costs me more than liquid because I rarely do a re-use.

Back