Wyeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WKU_Doc_D

Reaction score
Hey all. Quick question (concern).

I received my latest order of beer kits. One of them was an American brown ale with Wyeast pack. I noticed the Wyeast pack had already begun swelling and I assumed it had gotten smacked while in transit. No worries, needed to brew this weekend anyway.

I brewed everything, popped it into carboy, add shook the Wyeast pack to make sure all was suspended. I clipped the corner off pack and poured yeast into the carboy. Then I noticed the nutrient pack inside the smack pack was not ruptured. So my question is, why would the yeast pack be swollen if the smack pack hadn't been Smacked. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I be concerned about a bacterial infection now?

Probably over reacting, but would feel better knowing someone has experienced similar.

Thanks in advance.

Doc D

You're fine. The nutrient pack is kind of a wake-up for the yeast. But as they warm up they will become active and make the smack pack swell.

However, in the future you should always make an appropriate sized starter when using liquid yeast.

Mr. Malty Yeast Calculator is a great tool for starter size.

Latest posts

Back