Wyeast issue, contents already open inside of package? Black IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMtnHausBier

Reaction score
So I brewed a Black IPA last night and had picked up my first liquid yeast (Wyeast california ale yeast I believe) and it was slightly expanded prior to opening. My buddy of course didn't read the directions on the back and just opened the package, poured the liquid into a pot containing 2qts of wort, then I realized there was another little package inside that had not opened and so I opened that and poured it into the pot, we boiled it for ten minutes, cooled and aerated it as the package said. I also realize you are supposed to do this like hours or days before pitching but we messed up. So after pitching it last night, it has sat all night and there is no krausen forming and no fermentation has seemed to take place, although there is a ton of yeast in the bottom of my carboy.

Should I wait until 24 hours has passed to make a final diagnosis?

Should I pick up another thing of yeast? I'll probably have to go dry because I just don't have time the next to days to do a long yeast starter.

Did you pour your yeast into the wort, and then boil it? If you boiled your yeast, you need to buy more. If I am misunderstanding and that you only added yeast to the wort after the wort was boiled and cooled, then it's fine.

That little package in there is just a nutrient package- it doesn't really "do" anything at all and isn't necessary.

We boiled wort with the yeast in it, probably a stupid thing but that's what I thought I read on the directions. And I was totally sober during this brew! We added it to 2qts and boiled it for 10 minutes, perhaps we should have only boiled the wort, chilled and aerated that before pitching the yeast? I still think I read to add the yeast prior to the boil.

In the end we chilled both the 5gal of wort and our 2qt of wort+yeast after their boils then pitched the 2qts into the 5 gal when they were around 74ºf-77ºf

Hope that was clear enough.

Now I can get a lot of dry yeast 3 mintues down the road, should I just go now? I have work at 12:30 EST. What's a good alternative to california ale?

Hope that was clear enough.

Now I can get a lot of dry yeast 3 mintues down the road, should I just go now? I have work at 12:30 EST. What's a good alternative to california ale?

Safale S05. One package, and just sprinkle it on and cover the wort back up.

don't rehydrate this time- you don't want to risk killing another package of yeast.

05 dry-
edit- sorry Yooper beat me to it
Cant delete posts anymore since Im not a paying member.

421823_296037663793876_100001629338028_874351_180567335_n.jpg

Alright so I pitched the new yeast at 1030am this morning and I just got home from work, all that has happened is some white stuff has gathered around the top of the carboy, no real serious fermentation seems to be taking place. It's 73ish degrees...

Latest posts

Back