wyeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taterosu

Reaction score
Not sure if this should go here or in the yeast page but since im new thought i would try it here. I just ordered a texas ale kit from austin home brew supply and when the package came the ice bag was hot and the wyeast package was already swollen.. Its not swole really large but about half way. Is it still any good? I have used two kits so far both with just dry yeast and had no problems but wanted to try the wyeast this time. Any thoughts would be a great help. thanks in advance. p.s. here is the info on the kit i used Specialty malts: flaked maize
Featured hops: Brewer’s Gold

O.G. = 1.042
F.G. = 1.011
Approximately 4.1% ABV
Approximately 139 Cal / 12 oz
Makes 5 US gallons

Fermentable Sugars:
Extract - Liquid: 5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Corn Syrup

It is probably OK. Take a small amount of malt extract and boil in a few cups of water. Make a mini - beer (starter!) Of about 1.040 gravity or so. "Smack" your yeast pack, let it swell, add it to the starter and watch it for 24 hours. If the yeast grows and bubbles in the starter then brew up your recipe and pour the starter in when it is time to pitch the yeast.

I live in texas and its just plain hot here year round.. all of my wyeast packs have come partly swollen. All of my fermentations have started within 16hrs & all except one (1324) finished in 4 days. I do not make starters (yet).

Just place the pack in the fridge until about 12hrs before you plan to pitch it, pull it out & activate it. You may not be able to find the inner packet, just feel around, squeeze & massage the pack or hold it by the corner & smack the pack on the counter, then shake. It should swell more, pitch at fermentation temp & you'll be good to go.

ok thanks.. i bet the ice pact was 90 degrees when i opened the box. i was worried it might have been cooked.. good to know thats normal for this part of the world lol

Latest posts

Back