wyeast activator smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered ingredients about 2 months ago for the next batch of beer. One of those was a wyeast smack pack. I finally opened my box today and realized I ordered the pack and then realized it needs to be refrigerated. So its been sitting at room temperature for the past 2 months in a shipping box.

I decided to activate the pack and break the bag inside. It's been over 4 hours and doesn't seem to be swelling anymore than it already was when I pulled it. Is this pack dead/ruined?? Or are those little yeast still alive, just slow starters?

Thoughts anyone??

Shaun

You can culture yeast out of a bottle of beer that has been sitting on the shelf for a year. The environment in a smack pak is a lot friendlier to yeast than sitting in alcohol.

It's alive. It will no longer have the cell count a fresh and properly stored pack will have. Like Revvy said, make a starter, and everything will be OK

Out of curiosity, how long will a starter last before pitching?

Months if you keep in the frige. If it goes longer than a week before you plant to use it, decant off the spent wort and make a new starter before you pitch.

Alright, last question (hopefully)... If I have to store my yeast for a few weeks (in the fridge)...and this is a total noob question...how much do I pitch in my wort when I finally do brew? Do I have to make another starter with this yeast and put that in the wort?

Alright, last question (hopefully)... If I have to store my yeast for a few weeks (in the fridge)...and this is a total noob question...how much do I pitch in my wort when I finally do brew? Do I have to make another starter with this yeast and put that in the wort?

I usually make a starter for any yeast that has been in the fridge for more than a few days. Not necessarily a large starter, but just something to wake it up.

As to how much to use, you still want to consult a yeast pitch calculator such as Mr Malty for how much yeast to use. But generally speaking if you have a huge jar full of slurry, you'll have enough to do the job.

How do I know the yeast starter worked prior to putting it in the wort of a finished brew?

In other words, after the starter is in its fermenter and sitting for a day or two, how do I know the yeast are alive and activated in there?

Back