Wyeast 3068 Extremely Tart, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdragon82

Reaction score
About a month ago I brewed a weizenbock recipe I made everything on brew day turned out fine. Made a starter on my stir plate. I got the size from Mr. Malty.

2 1/2 weeks go by and FG was good everything seemed fine but it was very tart almost like a cidery, not that bad but definitely not able to drink regularly. I took it off the yeast and placed it in a keg and carbed thinking age and the coolness would help get rid of some of the tartness and after a week it did die down a bit. Hopefully in time it will a lot more.

So over the weekend I am looking into things. I've never had an infection so I looked that up and threw that theory out because there is no sour taste, no visible signs anywhere, etc. Then I thought about my starter. I remembered it overflowed out of my 3000ml flask, and remembered that I thought the starter seemed rather large anyways. Mr. Malty said use around 3 liters for 1.079 with a 5 gallon batch. When I got to the website I realized that I forgot to change it from "Simple Starter" to "Stir Plate". So now my theory is that the extreme overpitch might have caused the odd flavor. Below is a something I found on Wyeasts page. So am I correct in assuming that the overpitch is the cause or are their other reasons for tartness? Is there a way to fix it?

Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character.

I made recently a dunkel with 3068 and found it a bit tart also. Fermented at 20°C.
I think using some specialty malt that is very malty might ofset it a bit. I used 1kg of Munich I in mine and I like the brew but I think it should be a bit less tart.

I pitched a 1l starter, but aerated with oxygen for 1 minute at pitching and 30 seconds at 12h.

I think it has the proper balance of esters (a bit of banana, a bit of clove).

The next time I will try and replace most of the Pale malt with Munich.

Here is the grains I used.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.1 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 21.4 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.3 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %

Though the more I think about it the more I think it was just that I overpitched. I made more than 2x the recommended starter size and it is very clovey with the tartness. So that is probably what happens when you loose the banana flavor

I made a hefeweizen recently with the same yeast and a 2L starter. Not as much banana as I was hoping for, more clovey. It's not tart at all though.

Back